• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 483 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:39 AM

I could probably get a Flash version of Jetpack 2 done in time for Christmas, but I really want the standalone version to be built directly via Haxe/C++, rather than a Flash projector - especially in light of the earlier poll. Either path has a lot of work, so I need to choose now. Flash is the past, and while playable, it will never be as smooth as I'd like. So I've decided to focus on standalone Jetpack - the web playable version will be a more limited version of the game. This will also let me get away from Actionscript, which can't come soon enough!

The other tricky part of the release, is I need to do release a web shareware version / mini game / large demo at the same time or sooner than the full release, because game portals which I'm hoping will spearhead the publicity have a lot less interest in a game that's already released.

So I'm not sure on the release date now, but I'm guessing at early 2013.

Adam

#2 vielhuber

vielhuber

• Beta Tester
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 03:27 AM

Hi Adam!

> So I've decided to focus on standalone Jetpack - the web playable version will be a more limited version of the game.

Good move, but didn't you say if you have successfully moved to Haxe/C++,
you can also publish it via flash without reprogramming it again?

It would be very sad if there is only a downloadable standalone program
with no online connection and community support.
So if it is not possible to play jetpack in the future in the browser
via flash (although it is programmed via Haxe), then I would suggest,
you should use another browser plugin (look for example at www.quakelive.com).

Cheers
David

#3 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 483 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:36 AM

Yes Haxe also targets Flash, that will be the main platform for the shareware version.

I haven't started porting yet, there's been a ton of work just preparing for it, to make it go as smooth as possible. At least if I ever write another engine, I'll have a better idea how to lay it out.
I'm also working on features and bugfixes to do another flash release before the port.

#4 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 483 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:52 PM

After spending several days porting to Haxe, I've become disillusioned with the language. First of all, there's a surprising lack of 3rd party tutorials & documentation around, for a language that's been around for 4 years. The number of Haxe users seems pretty small. There are a lot of annoying things about the language that aren't apparent at first. And the last straw, the compiler is throwing out build errors that have no basis in reality. If I can't trust the compiler, I'm left with very little faith in the viability of the language.

So that was a big waste of time, for now it's back to ActionScript. If the standalone versions aren't fast enough, I can look into a C port which would target Flash using the new Alchemy, or maybe an HTML5 version. Obviously I could do a direct port to any platform, but I'd much rather keep the codebase in a single form. Ideally I think I'd like to be in a language like Python, but it doesn't appear to have good support for targeting web.

#5 vielhuber

vielhuber

• Beta Tester
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:24 AM

Hi Adam!

Hmm, that's sad! Did you post your impressions on the language in on of their product forums? Perhaps other experienced haxe coders will help you out...
But now let's focus on ActionScript and Flash - I am sure, Flash will survive in the future (especially for games).
Let's fix all open bugs and finish the game up. And finally release it!

#6 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 483 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:40 AM

Nah there's very little feedback, the problems are too big and I have the feeling it wouldn't make much difference.

#7 hoyeboye

hoyeboye

• Beta Tester
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:39 PM

Hi Adam,

I'm a little disappointed in the release date slip, but I'm happy to see you're taking the time needed to do it right. I want to see Jetpack succeed and be just as fun, if not more fun, than the original. Keep up the great work!

#8 Saga Musix

Saga Musix

• Moderators
  • 178 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:10 PM

Regarding "web-playable" game platforms, there's also the Unity web player. I don't know in detail how it works, but it might be an option... And it will require even more porting, I guess.

#9 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 483 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:11 AM

No power in the 'verse can stop me.

Unity requires a download for most people, not a good option.

#10 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 483 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:54 AM

FlasCC is another option now, I could port most of the engine to C. Check this out: http://www.unrealengine.com/flash/

#11 Saga Musix

Saga Musix

• Moderators
  • 178 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:02 AM

Sounds interesting!

#12 howdroll

howdroll

• Beta Tester
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:53 PM

I played Jetpack 1.5, the trial version, back in school well over 11 years ago now. It was the best game bar none. (We always got stuck at Work Those Leg Muscles.) I had eventually copied it onto a floppy disk, brought it back home, printed out the registration information, thinking I would buy the full version. Then I found out it was available for free. Best day in my life ever. I've been a fan ever since. (Adam Peterson was my childhood hero, isn't that stunning?)

So, I think I can wait a little longer for 2.0 to emerge, however it emerges. Best of luck.

#13 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 483 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:03 PM

I was hoping to get a release out before xmas, but I'm not going to make it. Various health issues, and too much time on refactoring. I'll see everyone in January!

Adam

#14 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 483 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:29 PM

Where does the time go...

The UI revamp is done, and I'm powering through a gazillion bugs, so there should be a release next week. This will probably be the last editor-based release, as just about all the features are in place (for the Cave tileset at least). Next up will be the actual game, mainly a bunch of UI stuff.

Since the other tilesets still need a lot of work, I'm planning on a new idea for an initial release soon - a web-only, cave-only game for game portals, to precede the release of Jetpack 2. It will be reminiscent of the original Jetpack - 10-15 free playable levels, with addon packs available direct from the portal. I should be able to arrange free addon packs for those that preordered the expansion packs for JP2 (don't worry, those are coming too). I like this idea because the nature tileset especially is not where I want it to be, and this is a chance to get a release out sooner. I'm not going to estimate a date on this, because that never works - I'll just say ASAP!

#15 Illari

Illari

Advanced Member

• Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:48 AM

Sweet, I hope you keep a beta available with the other themes.

#16 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 483 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:08 AM

Yes I'll be maintaining 2 separate versions, the full featured one will be for beta testers only.

#17 Saga Musix

Saga Musix

• Moderators
  • 178 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:51 PM

So, how's that release coming along?

#18 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 483 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:16 PM