• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 DarkWolfNine

DarkWolfNine

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 100 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:11 PM

Here they are! Devilish Levels 1 - 10 (Just missing any final touches of par/expert setting times, and achievements (where applicable))

Level 1-1 (RC)

Level 1-2 (RC)

Level 1-3 (RC)

Level 1-4 (RC)

Level 1-5 (RC)

Level 1-6 (RC)

Level 1-7 (v0.9)

Level 1-8 (RC)

Level 1-9 (RC)

Level 1-10 (v0.8)

Let me know if you have any suggestions or constructive criticism on these levels.
(I will normalize all of the version numbers to be the same once they're ready for release)

Thanks!

#2 InsaneJetman

InsaneJetman

• Moderators
  • 295 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:23 AM

General Comments:
  • Another nice level series -- I suppose this was actually the first.
  • Your levels all capture the adventure theme very well.
  • I don't mind the fade-to-black shading you've done on surfaces. In fact I think it's an improvement, but I suspect that's just because I don't like how the latest graphic changes affect the devilish tiles. Otherwise I might have preferred it without.
1-1 (1.01)
Record Time: 0:37
Recommended Par/Expert: 1:00/0:45
  • Needs some platform supports, especially since some of the devilish ones look so cool. Use your best judgement, places like (2,17). Note that, unlike the cave supports the decayed wall and bone wall supports do look good next to one another.
  • I don't like the half visible banner above and left of the door. I'd delete it and move the other two 1/2 tile to the left
  • Swap (1,13) and (15,13)
  • Make (22,12) a cliff
  • Do a fade to black on (18,16) and just darken on (18,15).
1-2 (1.0)
Record Time: 0:40
Recommended Par/Expert: 1:10/0:50
  • Fuel miser is a bit of a moot point with a fuel charger right by the exit. In fact it's rather trivial even without it.
  • Maybe hide an invincibility behind a bone wall, (2,16) for example, or somewhere it would take real stones to look like (8,11).
  • Again think about platform supports. (6,5) and (9,6) come to mind. Not many needed tho.
  • Shift the door and banners by it 1/2 tile to the left
1-3 (0.6)
Record Time: 0:44
Recommended Par/Expert: 1:15/0:55
  • I like the fool's gold achievement.
  • Move the teleport at (13,15) left 1/2 tile (center it).
  • Place platform supports at (3.5+21.5,10), (10+15,5), (10+15,10) and (12.5,17)
1-4 (0.8)
Record Time: 0:31
Recommended Par/Expert: 1:00/0:40
  • Switch superstitious to rest your legs! Yes, it works!
  • Move the gold coin at (19,2) to (19,3) -- it's the only unattainable treasure without jumping.
  • Put a background along the top row -- ash wall, bone scan, dirty wall, ... maybe even black -- whatever you decide. Use behind layer (2) darken if favourable.
  • I don't know what to suggest for platform supports, except for (12.5,5)
1-5 to 1-10
coming soon ...

#3 DarkWolfNine

DarkWolfNine

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 100 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:58 PM

Thanks a bunch InsaneJetman! I will tackle these tomorrow or Sat. I ended up writing a tool tonight to help with our Forum Level posting. Check ur PM. You've been a great help in polishing my levels. So greatly appreciated.
~Christopher

#4 InsaneJetman

InsaneJetman

• Moderators
  • 295 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:10 PM

Suggestions for a couple more levels:

1-5 (0.8)
Record Time: 0:58
Recommended Par/Expert: 1:50/1:20
  • Use the one corner fade-to-black at (0+25,0) and the regular vertical (two corner) fade-to-black at (0+25,17).
  • Ninja and The McCoy are redundant because there are no stunners or teleports.
  • (14,1) wrapped on left and bottom, (15,1) wrapped on left and top, (16,1) wrapped on right, (17,1) wrapped on right and top: small re-wrapping because 4-side wrapped bricks don't seem appropriate.
  • Or, check out the tetris theme [edit: level deleted & link removed] I tried for the brick wrapping.
1-6 (0.81)
Record Time: 0:59
Recommended Par/Expert: 1:50/1:20
  • Change (23,15) and (25,14) into cliffs.
  • Move the horned skulls to (4.5,2), (10,16), and (19,2.5)
  • Unround (11+18,11), (19,5), and (22,2).
  • Change (6,17) to an unwrapped bonewall.
  • Continue the spikes on (3+4+6+23+27,17).
  • There's got to be a place for a skull pile.
  • Possible platform support locations: (14.5,11), (9+13,15), (6,11), (20,12), (3+6,1), (22,4), (13+16,5), (0,3), and (14-17,17). Skip any of these if you prefer the look without.

#5 DarkWolfNine

DarkWolfNine

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 100 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:36 PM

Thanks Insane. I applied the suggestions. The only thing I couldn't really do, is on 1-6 (Change (6,17) to an unwrapped bonewall.) it already is unwrapped. :( I placed it again to be sure. I think it is the new graphics update that was recently applied.

I also copied your tetris theme update. Thanks so much. you are more talented in that edging for sure. :) I'll work on that.

I tried your level again (the one that I'm struggling with) I think I will step over it for now, and work on your next levels. :)

#6 InsaneJetman

InsaneJetman

• Moderators
  • 295 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:51 PM

1-7 (1.01)
Record Time: 0:38
  • Make (5,17) a firestone wall (remove the spikes too). Make (4,17) a decayed wall cliff (add fade-to-black too). Make (4,16) a bone wall (remove fade-to-black too).
  • Make (25,17) a firestone wall. Make (24,17) a decayed wall cliff (add spikes too).
  • Unround all bone walls -- (0,14), (4,12), (3,5), and (2,3)
  • Be consistent when rounding all firestone walls. I'd probably just unround them all, except maybe (4+6,8) which should be the same at any rate.
1-8 (1.01)
Record Time: 1:09
Recommended Par/Expert: 2:00/1:30
  • I don't think Fuel Miser is possible since there is only a half tank and you do need to use it.
  • Round (5,16)
  • Unround (16,9)?
  • Remove the thin firestone walls on the left edge.
  • Make (0,3) a horizontal barrier.
  • I'm not 100% sold on the hidden teleports. Consider removing all the thin firestone walls. The level still works well and your text sign is still fine.

#7 DarkWolfNine

DarkWolfNine

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 100 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 02:06 PM

Thanks Insane! I'll apply these tonight. Do you think 1-8 is tough enough if you knew where the teleports went to? (It was just an idea I had, and built the level around that kind of thinking.. Concept anyway. But not all of my ideas are good ones. :) )

Thanks again.

P.S. I do agree on the consistency of rounded/not rounded. I would like them all rounded in cases, but the shading I have on the blocks, didn't allow it, because of being able to see the corner black. (especially before I changed the background to a darker one.. I used the brighter lava one originally) But the blocks didn't pop enough.

#8 InsaneJetman

InsaneJetman

• Moderators
  • 295 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:22 AM

Yes, I think 1-8 is tricky enough with the teleports showing. It's on par with 1-7 in so far as difficulty of jumping around, only there's more of it because you have to go back and forth to switches. And figuring out one's way around is still something the player will have to think about.

1-9 (1.01)
Record Time: 0:36
  • Three full tanks is overkill. Remove the one at (5,13) and switch the other two to half tanks. Fuel Miser is a decent reward then too -- still too easy with 3 half tanks.
  • Move (5,12) to (5,13) now that there's no fuel there.
  • Generally the rounded tiles you've got are good here. However, I'd still unround everything. Nothing really needs it and it does look more polished with your fade-to-black shading.
  • Place a cliff at (18,5) -- free range to keep the mirage there too.
  • Do one of the following and re-spiderweb accordingly:
    • Shift the door and banners 1/2 tile left; delete spikes at (22,16); delete cliff at (24,14).
    • Delete walls at (24,14) and (25,14-16); place spikes at (25,16); optionally place cliffs at (21+22+25,14)
  • I'm not sure about the bone scan background transitions. I tried some other approaches. I didn't really like fade-to-black/grey/white either. Perhaps the best I came up with was decayed wall platform supports at (0+1,10) and (22+23+24,5). The coin at (1,10) might be better shifted (up one?) in this case.
  • Platform support locations: (22,11), (5+12,12), (4,1), (7,5), and possibly (8,7), (16,6)
1-10 (1.01)
I've played this one already: good tricky level.
Record Time: 1:14
Recommended Par/Expert: 2:20/1:40
  • Remove the fade-to-blacks on the rock walls (by the start).
  • Redo the banners in the bottom-left room so they're at (1.5+3+4.5+6,10.5).
  • Drop the torch from (4.5,12) to (4.5,12.5).
  • I might have another idea regarding the blue switch, treasure, and gems. I'll let you know.

#9 InsaneJetman

InsaneJetman

• Moderators
  • 295 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:32 PM

My idea regarding the blue switch, treasure, and gems was to change (17,2) into treasure and move the white door to (18,7) (putting a platform support where it was). This way the level would be passable if a fairly straightforward linear way. However getting all the treasure and the idol would require the zig-zagging that is currently necessary. I don't know if that appeals to you, or if you want to keep your final level tricky as it is. I'm not really sure if I would prefer it. It's not really any different for me, since I insist on getting everything anyway.

Another note with 1-8 and the hidden teleports. I didn't object as much to the teleports being hidden as the somewhat undesirable thin firestone walls. If you like the idea, by all means hide them, only use bone rows. That way it's just a cosmetic difference and you don't have annoying things like the squished jump up to (14,0).

In 1-7, (4,17) should be a cliff, not just a regular wall.

#10 DarkWolfNine

DarkWolfNine

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 100 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:05 PM

Thanks Insane. I will be updating my 9 and 10 tonight. (and the 1-7 tweak).. I did like the hidden aspect of the teleports (sure they will be learned. But then if replayed months and many other levels later, they might need a refresher.) I did remove them. But I like the cosmetic overlay (because I didn't like the crouching, etc. either. I just didn't know better, at the time of making this first in my level series)

As for your comment on 1-10.. Did you say that you wouldn't be sure if you would prefer it (as it is? or with your updated idea?)

Thanks again for all of your support. I hope you are having some fun messing around/playing with the levels. :)

~Christopher

#11 InsaneJetman

InsaneJetman

• Moderators
  • 295 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:43 PM

I was looking at 1-10 again and thinking about my idea. Here's what I would actually do:
  • Move the idol to (17,2) -- so no more green gem.
  • Move the treasure at (19,5) to (14,4) -- where the idol was. Now there's no treausre behind the white door.
  • Keep the white door where it is.
The level is still harder than 1-8 and 1-9, and this way passing the level straight through, one can get all the gems and treasure, but the more complex path allows for the idol too.

Speaking of what's harder than what, I think 1-8 is harder than 1-9. Maybe you want to switch them.

Yup, I'm enjoying messing around with the levels. They're good ones.

#12 DarkWolfNine

DarkWolfNine

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 100 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:27 PM

Thanks Insane! I will swap 1-8 and 1-9. I also will tweak 1-10 again..

Here are my questions (I probably put as an update to my last post, not knowing, you had already replied.)
UPDATE:
I have another question with 1-10.. Besides the idea on your mod (I made all the previous suggestions).. Since I will be moving all of my -10 levels to a Bonus/Expert/Extras (whatever I end up calling it) for one extra level per theme (plus adding new puzzle themes, and other beta levels) Do you think the mod you suggested would be better? I like the way it is.. But I insist on getting everything too. Do you think it is too much zig zagging w/o the Idol? (I don't see how the idol is any different than getting all the gold/gems for the par/expert times.) Hopefully more achievements will be created. (Speaking of.. I'm thinking of moving a few gold pieces so I can put the Fool's Gold as an achievement. Any other achievements I can add to this level? (I currently have none. But I do tend to make Fool's Gold an achievement on all of my levels. So I would have to move a couple out of the way a little, like the gold coin at 22,15 etc) Thanks again for all of your help!

UPDATE 2: I moved 3 gold coins around so that they aren't attainable by force (path). So the Fool's Gold Achievement should be attainable. :)

#13 InsaneJetman

InsaneJetman

• Moderators
  • 295 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:55 PM

No, it's not too much zig-zagging without the idol. In fact I'd say it's just right to keep the level trickier than 1-8 and 1-9.

Ya, par/expert times include getting the idol. It's just that getting the idol in any level should require a little extra effort. Before it was just a sort-of pit stop along the way. Now, with the changes, passing the level and getting the idol is much trickier -- actually what we did is make it easier to pass it without getting the idol. You'll see this is how it works in pretty much all of my levels.

Regarding fools gold in 1-10, I think (2,8) and (3,14) have to be picked up.

Other achievement you could have in 1-10:

Fuel Miser:
  • It's a little trivial, I wouldn't bother.
Superstitious:
  • The only ladders you have are behind the decayed walls which need to be phased through.
  • One could rely on one's jetpack instead of the ladders to get this reward.
  • There is currently a bug (at least for me) that brings up an error whenever you attempt to fly and phase to one side or the other, but once that's fixed this should work.
Earth Day:
  • There are only four places for which fuel is needed:
    • Going from (22,9) to (25,16)
    • Going from (25,16) to (22,15)
    • Going from (13,15) to (13,11)
    • Getting the two green gems at the start (23+25,0)
  • Fuel is also needed for some treasure and the idol, but that doesn't matter as far as the reward goes.
  • I'm sure an good alternative could be found for the first two, but the other two are pretty integral to the level.
  • My best solution would be to tweak up the bottom-right corner and make the whole level a bonus level, i.e. change all the green gems to treasure. This would fit my paradigm of the 10th level in a series being a bonus level.
  • It's up to you if you want to undergo that radical a shift for an achievement.

#14 DarkWolfNine

DarkWolfNine

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 100 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:10 AM

Thanks for the insight. (I think you checked it after I updated it to 0.8) I would rather not do the Bonus conversion for this level. I like the idea of having 10 per series.. (even if the 10th one in each, are in a bonus folder) And create an all new -10 for each theme. If I know the requirements for the bonus level idea, I can plan for that, ahead of time. (I think some of the new features might affect this.. At least, make me consider new ideas.. Fuel Sapper, the bouncing rainbow (not sure of the exact name, ATM..) :) Anyway, I will like to plan those Bonus levels from scratch. :) While keeping these -10 levels that I have, very difficult (for the average player) :P

P.S. interesting concept on the jetpack vs. stairs (while behind the phases to bypass the ladders) I might just use Superstitious and Fool's Gold.. I will think of a third one, per your suggestions. (I do wish, I had 3 achievements per all of my levels, but some just don't make sense. Unless I hide a useless stunner, or invincible doll in the level that doesn't need them, just to give it that achievement. )

Thanks again (and indebted forever. :D)

#15 InsaneJetman

InsaneJetman

• Moderators
  • 295 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:37 AM

No, I think three achievements per level is a bit impossible. Maybe if my suggestion is added, you can add that to some of the levels, but still I wouldn't worry about a full set of achievements on all levels.

I agree, 1-10 is probably best as is without the Earth Day modifications.

Of course, bonus level every 10th level is not a requirement. You could have 10 levels and one bonus level after, or never mind bonus levels, or a bonus level series, or ...

#16 DarkWolfNine

DarkWolfNine

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 100 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:12 AM

Makes sense. I am not sure what "unofficial" standard there would/could be for a level series. Regardless of how I handle it.. (I will probably mimic others) I will just keep my series all consistent.

You're right. I am not sure that all 3 achievements could be used all the time. Especially with the harder levels. You want them to do all of those things to make it to the end. IMO.

I will check out your bonus level (as linked before) for a sort of example.

I think with the arrival of the new hidden section attribute, that could be an achievement to use sometimes. Find that hidden space.

I'm not sure how scoring is calculated (is it just coins, etc?) It would be interesting to add a dynamic where it totals at the end.. adding/subtracting points based on how close above or under to the par time you got. Maybe penalties for invincibility, stunners, etc. small penalties for teleporting (that way, if people teleport more often (because they forgot something) would subtract a little more, than the ideal perfection through the level). Things like that. Then it could be leaderboarded (it can be a word.. heh. ) Maybe I should post that in the right forum section. (once I take time to learn how the scoring is handled currently) Then you could have a score & time on the leaderboard. So the best score "might" not be the fastest time, and vice versa. don't know.. just throwing ideas out there.

P.S. I will be moving my series levels out of Beta Sharing, and into their respective folders, once our profiles show our folders for play.

#17 InsaneJetman

InsaneJetman

• Moderators
  • 295 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:22 PM

I think one main difference between Jetpack 2 and the original is that there is no scoring per se. There will be a record of which achieverments and par/expert times you have made/not made. But there will be no more 10 points for coins, 25 for piles of gold, 50 for vases, and 100 for the idol, not to mention the free life.

What I expect we will have will be a things like a note "You collected x% of all the treasure you passed", a pie chart showing your sub-par/par/expert ratio, and something similar saying what awards you got and missed. I'm sure Adam will come up with a good summary.

#18 DarkWolfNine

DarkWolfNine

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 100 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:15 PM

I like that Insane.. It would be cool for some sort of information after passing the level.. (I would like the scoring system too. adds for some competition.) More than just by time.

Devilish Series Question... It looks to me that 1-8 and 1-9 should be switched.. Am I the only one who thinks that (difficulty wise)?

#19 InsaneJetman

InsaneJetman

• Moderators
  • 295 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:34 AM

I have to eat my words here. There is scoring! There wasn't at some point earlier, but that may have been many many versions ago. Green gems 5, coins 10, piles of gold 20, vases 30, idol 500 (seems a bit much), and nothing for fuel/stunner/invincibility. One thing I wonder is if you play the same level many times over in the game will you simply accumulate points?

Anyway regarding 1-8 and 1-9, I think they are good in the order they are in. With par times of 1:10 and 2:00, 1-9 is more intense for just the amount of going back and forth that is needed. 1-8 does have trickier obstacles to get around, but the homer in 1-9 is tricky too.

#20 DarkWolfNine

DarkWolfNine

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 100 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:02 PM

Thanks for the 1-8 / 1-9 response. I will leave them be.

As for the scoring, I wouldn't think they would accumulate. I would think, you would get a score for your run through that level. Run through it again, and get a different score.. could be leaderboard like. (where you could be 1st, 4th, 8th, etc. based on different runs) That is my theory anyway.. I think that accumulating would be wrong.. People would just play the same one over and over and over to get to the top spot.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: darkwolfnine, devilish, series, levels

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users