6 replies to this topic

#1 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 554 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 12:41 AM

Hi all!
The project is still proceeding slowly due to my full time job.  Right now, I really regret choosing Flash/Actionscript for this project.  That choice alone has made everything take at least 2x as long.  And now that Flash is dying, the library/engine I built for Jetpack will be worthless too :(  But porting the whole thing would take far too long and is not an option.

Here's what I have made progress on, and future plans.
These changes have not been released yet, so read "now" as "will":

Changes
* The stunner now stops all enemies.  Being more realistic was breaking too many things.
* All text fields now support undo.  This isn't built in to flash, so I had to do it manually.
* Sign/trigger editing made easier.
* LiveCfg - game configuration settings are now stored on the server, allowing tweaks without a full release.

Fixes
* Fixed click-to-play on user profiles
* Improved efficiency when there are large numbers of animating tiles (eg Quick Dive)

Advanced Level Settings

Levels now have an embedded "ini" text file that can be used to customize levels in ways not possible before.

Text Features
* Large text blocks are now embedded in levels.  Give your levels an introduction and/or story!
* Add custom journal entries, and help popups to your level.
* There are several automatic triggers.  eg: show a notice when the player gets all gems
* There are 2 special sections for editor notes and communication: [editorNotes] [editorTodo]

Scripting Features
* When TRIGGER, choose TARGET, execute COMMAND.  eg: [when autoAllGems] / target world / attr gravity=0
* Trigger tile groups
* Change entity attributes: give jetman superjump, change enemy speed, ...
* Change world attributes: gravity, wind, ...

Before Next Release
* Feel & physics needs polish
* 20+ bugfixes
* Improve training mission

Before Full Release
* Complete Infernal Maze mission 2 & 3
* 50+ bugfixes
* Add Easter Eggs
* Building downloadable release
* Login/license key validation
* 3rd party API's: high scores, ads, etc

Post Release
* Expansion Missions

I won't give an estimate on the next release date, but it will be as soon as I can get it out!
Thanks,
Adam

#2 TeamTJ

TeamTJ

• Beta Tester
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 03:05 PM

Thank you for this update!

#3 Draken Stark

Draken Stark

• Beta Tester
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 08:04 PM

I can understand how you feel about flash losing support, however it can still be used to finish the game. Older consoles such as the NES, SNES, and Genesis losing their support didn't stop games from releasing on them. I wouldn't say it needs to be exclusive to flash, but getting the game out into more hands shouldn't be a bad thing, especially if you expressly mention it's still in beta/alpha form.

As a backer of the four year old kickstarter, who can only play the limited demo, I'd like to ask that you consider opening the game up to more people who'd already backed the game. You may still push the most recent versions to those who paid expressly for beta access and have the rest wait a week or two. It'd be great to actually play the game in any part outside of the limited demo on the site.

#4 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 554 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 01:45 PM

I can understand how you feel about flash losing support, however it can still be used to finish the game. Older consoles such as the NES, SNES, and Genesis losing their support didn't stop games from releasing on them. I wouldn't say it needs to be exclusive to flash, but getting the game out into more hands shouldn't be a bad thing, especially if you expressly mention it's still in beta/alpha form.

As a backer of the four year old kickstarter, who can only play the limited demo, I'd like to ask that you consider opening the game up to more people who'd already backed the game. You may still push the most recent versions to those who paid expressly for beta access and have the rest wait a week or two. It'd be great to actually play the game in any part outside of the limited demo on the site.

That's a good idea Draken, I'll open up the game to all backers soon.

#5 hoyeboye

hoyeboye

• Beta Tester
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 11:14 PM

Thanks for opening up the demo to all backers. Keep chugging away! 

#6 adran

adran

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 06:42 AM

Wow... shame I didn't hear about this sooner. As a HUGE fan of the original Jetpack, I'm extremely happy to hear that there's a sequel in the works. I'll be watching this closely. Is it still making progress toward a finished product?

#7 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 554 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 10:14 AM

Yep there will be a new release soon.  Closing in on finishing this thing.

I wish there was a way to get the word out.  I know there are more Jetpack fans out there.  adran, how did you find out about JP2 and what would have made you discover it sooner?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users