#2 InsaneJetman

InsaneJetman

• Moderators
  • 291 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:01 AM

Here's my first reactions to the latest release:
  • I love the fuel destroyer.
  • Sweet, a bat!
  • It's good to have the new fading tiles, tho cycling through 12 of 'em can be tedious at times.
  • Nice to be able to place off-center help icons/text signs, although I did figure out a convoluted way of doing it before.
  • The new layer icons are good. I shouldn't be going to the wrong place for switches any more.
  • Fuel chargers seem like they may regularly conflict with backgrounds. Perhaps 'behind' layer would be more appropriate. I'm not sure, you seem to have put a lot of thought into the layers, and generally they're very good.
  • I noticed this last release, but I'll mention it here: teleports seem much harder to hit, especially mid-air ones while flying. My Too Many Spikes level just got harder.
Regarding the new barriers:
  • The barriers really need to be drawn behind all the walls (bricks, stone walls, castle walls, etc.).
  • I don't like that a barrier behind an opaque tile glows beyond the tile so it can still be seen.
Regarding the new contrast enhancements:
  • It's certainly an improvement in the cave theme.
  • Castle walls seem over pronounced. Candy canes are too dark. There's more.
  • The jetman doesn't look nearly as good.
  • Overall, it's probably overdone. Maybe it's some of the original graphics that needed some enhancement rather than a filter on the output.
Regarding the new highlighting:
  • I don't have any issues with it conflicting with conveyers.
  • Ladder covers look fine next to their native tiles, but a little odd on their own.
  • Shading isn't working right on cliffs.
  • A vertical wall of individual tiles such as gold panels, silver panels, rust panels, or boulders looks odd. The same goes for other tiles such as bricks if placed free range.
Perhaps some of these filters should be options in some user settings somewhere. Not something we have at this point in the beta tho.

#3 Illari

Illari

Advanced Member

• Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:18 AM

I really like the new graphics in general, but I can see there are details that can be fixed. Biggest of them in the level 'graphics glitch'!

#4 Illari

Illari

Advanced Member

• Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:47 AM

Freeranged gems should see if there's a block below them too!

#5 Saga Musix

Saga Musix

• Moderators
  • 191 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:36 AM

- Seems like that the level filter on my "for release" folder is disabled again.

- While in live edit mode, and having the jetman tile selected, the following message is shown while trying to teleport: **** WARNING: graphic missing - creating for stability \\ doppleganger:Jetman 12.6,8.6,null (Thing)

- When starting the level, the jetman should grab the ladder if there is one at the starting position.

- I noticed that sometimes when teleporting (maybe in combination with jumping, not sure), the jetman actually teleports to the level start position: http://sagagames.de/...eleport_bug.avi (the second teleporter is not visible, but there is one)

- The new barriers look nice, but I think those little squares should be flickering a bit... so it really looks like an energy barrier. :)

Edit: Also added a new bug level... Phasing bricks while standing on the top of a ladder is really hard now; I know that there are ladder covers, but they don't look good always and I'm not sure if they are supposed to be needed in this situation actually.

#6 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 554 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:58 AM

InsaneJetman
fuel chargers/sappers ARE on the behind layer now :)

The teleporter area did get smaller, to fix another bug where someone could teleport while standing on sludge above the teleporter .. its a balance

What's wrong with the cliff shading?

Saga Musix
I turned off the level filter for good.

> the jetman actually teleports to the level start position

Wow, that's bizarre.

#7 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 554 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:50 PM

> teleports seem much harder to hit

I checked the code, and I actually think this is a bug, it should be better next release. Hopefully it won't break something else.

> I don't like that a barrier behind an opaque tile glows beyond the tile so it can still be seen.

I will be fixing this.

#8 DarkWolfNine

DarkWolfNine

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 100 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:04 PM

I am not a fan of the cliffs either.. :( Here's what I think is happening. The cliff highlighting is fine if it is the top most brick. However, if the cliff is edging under a bunch of other blocks/bricks (to make the level look less blocky) the bottom-most full brick that is right above the cliff below it, will be under-shaded. (See DWN Cave 1-1 or many other ones of mine. :D But I checked it on a couple.) It makes it look really off. )

Is this similar to what you feel Insane?

#9 InsaneJetman

InsaneJetman

• Moderators
  • 291 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:04 PM

Here's the cliff problem:
Posted Image

While I'm at it, here's the odd behaviour of behind vs. in front for tiles:
Posted Image
Perhaps a rule like: free range tiles go behind those of the corresponding layer. This would also address the issue Illari referred to in his graphics glich. I suggest behind rather than in front because extra items like barriers can be easily placed on free range, but regular tiles don't shade properly unless they're placed normally (yet) -- notice the shading in Illari's Maze of Infinity.

Fuel chargers, formerly on the foreground layer, seem to be on the background layer (1), not the behind layer (2). I.E. it is impossible to place a fuel charger and, for example, green hex without resorting to free range placement.

Saga Musix: "When starting the level, the jetman should grab the ladder if there is one at the starting position."
I second this.

Illari: "Freeranged gems should see if there's a block below them too!"
I have used freeranging to get rid of a stand on a green gem, but I have no problem with this one way or the other.

I couldn't replicate either of Saga Musix's bugs. Hope you figure them out.

#10 DarkWolfNine

DarkWolfNine

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 100 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:19 PM

More Cliff Notes (no pun intended) Also note the 1 pixel shading that is keeping the pixel from looking connected to the similar blocks.

The ladder top's (free range or block posted) above/behind a mirage looks like this (right half of example pic)

Posted Image

#11 Illari

Illari

Advanced Member

• Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:04 AM

Maybe make two kinds of gems with and without a stand.

#12 DarkWolfNine

DarkWolfNine

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 100 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:00 AM

Minor Minor visual bug.. When on the first Layer in the Tile Picker, the Spring has moved.. which is cool. The Cave series icon/tab down below shows the spring.. but it is actually in the Castle icon/tab.

I have noticed some weird things with the new release and Chrome. sometimes causing me to refresh the page. I might look into the Debug version of Flash. (if that helps.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users