• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Saga Musix

Saga Musix

• Moderators
  • 193 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:08 PM

Bugs:
- Falling from great heights leads to a looped grunting sound.
- Pressing z + ctrl at the same time doesn't seem to give me a boost anymore, even though the tutorial note claims so. I think it is required to jump slightly before using the jetpack.
- I somehow managed to make the background music stop after dying. I managed to resume the game while the death sequence was still playing, so this might be related.
- Got some flying batbot to not fly around anymore (stuck in a level corner), maybe related to me dying in that level.

Suggestions:
- The level preview overlays on the mission pack maps are a bit hard to get rid off, especially when trying to just use it with a mouse. If a level is locked, it should be possible to close the overlay by clicking it.
Clicking on the surrounding map space should maybe also move the map around like when using cursor keys - right now the movement is rather slow when using the mouse.
- Have a clearly visible indicator whether a level has been finished on the overview map.
- Achievements should maybe clickable or at least have a mouseover text to describe them - at least on the level finish screen.

Level comments:
- Gemstone City might be too difficult for a beginner if they ran through the fuel zappers, only to realize that they forgot to pick up a gem. Might be worth to provide a few more extra jetpacks or a fuel charger. This level also becomes unsolvable when dying after the marble ball has been set off.

Editor comments:
- After playing the game for a while and returning to the editor, it shows the last played level from the mission pack, but gives me error #1009 constantly so I can't start editing.
- In the "for release" folder, only two (plus a bonus level which showed up there with one of the previous updates but which I think wasn't meant for this release) of my previously nine levels show up, probably because the others weren't using the cave tileset?
- All other folders are empty.

#2 kirchheim

kirchheim

• Beta Tester
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:42 PM

Couldn't start the game, I only get the message:

**** WARNING: uncaught error 2:SecurityError: Error #2149

Will try again tomorrow.

#3 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 561 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:45 PM

Should be fixed now.

#4 lemonrev

lemonrev

• Beta Tester
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:13 AM

i like the way the levels are now layed out so you can choose them as you slowly unlock levels some are somewhat harder than many others i hope others see the newest post by you and get back here to see what you have done for the levels are great but some are much harder than anything else :P. just saying..

Thanks for the update been a while good luck catch you again.

#5 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 561 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:51 AM

Thanks Saga, and does anyone want to do some level tweaking?  If there are some you think you can improve/make easier please let me know and I'll make them editable by you.  Also if anyone likes creative writing and has ideas for journal entries, let me know!  How do you like the journal?

#6 Jeff

Jeff

• Beta Tester
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:57 PM

Yeah Gemstone city (my level) needs a lot of tweaking haha.

You used to be able to make the jump at the beginning of the level without using the switch, which was part of getting the no switches achievement, but the jumping mechanics or w/e were changed so it's impossible now.

Also just in general needs more refinement.

#7 Illari

Illari

Advanced Member

• Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:01 AM

Is the path that opens after one of the top-left levels has been beaten supposed to lead nowhere?

#8 Juan G

Juan G

Advanced Member

• Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:10 PM

Hey Adam, it's great to see that the game is nearing completion. You say there's still a lot of work to do, but I think the hardest work is already done. The graphics, background themes and sound effects are already defined, the game engine just has a few bugs and you've hundreds of levels to choose from. I look forward to the first full game version!

Here are some questions/suggestions about the game:

- Did you remove the messages that were displayed when Jetman died? I don't see them anymore.
 - As Saga Musix said, you should be able to click on any achievement (including the treasure and idol ones) to see its description.
 - The "trapper" achievement icon is highlighted only at the end of the level. I think it should work in the same way as the "fuel miser" achievement, i.e. the icon is highlighted when all enemies are trapped, but if an enemy is freed afterwards the icon is darkened again.

These are some minor bugs of the level editor:
 - The background music isn't stopped when you press Ctrl+N in order to create a new level.
 - Clicking on the "Level Properties" option of the dropdown menu when the Level Settings dialog is already visible causes an error.
 - Edit any level, press Ctrl+L to open the Level Settings dialog and then Esc to close it. Click outside the game so the Pause message is automatically displayed. Now click inside the game, close the Pause message and press Ctrl+L again. From that moment on, the spacing of the Level Settings dialog will be doubled, and some controls will become inaccessible.
 - Pressing Shift+E when editing a text message opens the Export dialog apart from writing a capital E. The same applies to Shift+I and the Import dialog.

- I've created a few new bug levels. They're in the "Bug Reports" folder.

By the way, I don't know if you've already answered this before, but have you planned to make the game translatable to other languages?

Does anyone want to do some level tweaking?

Yes, I need to set the par/master time of the "Missile Maze" level, and I'll also try to add another achievement.

How do you like the journal?

I like it, as it lets you introduce all the elements of the game and create a storyline. It's good that you can see previous entries too.

However, I don't like the font you've used on the journal. I don't know if that was planned to be the final font, but what about using a font that resembles hand-writing? Like Segoe Print or Monotype Corsiva in Windows, for example.

Besides, I know this would require much work, but adding sketched drawings to the journal (such as the Jepack, the teleporters, the enemies, etc.) would improve it a lot.

#9 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 561 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:22 PM

I've had to take a few days off the game, because the store is broken in this awful Invision software.  I found a really cool game store theme, so I'm taking the opportunity to adapt it to a new homepage.  You can see it now, however the login/signup isn't synced yet: http://www.jetpackhq.com/store/

When editing levels, please try to make them easier, as in the first 4 levels - beatable by anyone, but as challenging as the player has a stomach for with the achievements.

#10 Saga Musix

Saga Musix

• Moderators
  • 193 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 02:24 PM

You can still get the "never use a stunner" achievement by dying after having collected a stunner.

#11 InsaneJetman

InsaneJetman

• Moderators
  • 295 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:20 PM

I can't darken, lighten, or fade an opaque tile which reveals my hidden passages in darkened rooms.

[edit] I think darken/lighten/fade should go over opaque tiles: see my bugs level.

#12 InsaneJetman

InsaneJetman

• Moderators
  • 295 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:38 PM

When you type a capital "I" (shift + i) into a help icon/sign it thinks you're trying to import a level and pops up a warning.

#13 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 561 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:30 PM

I can't darken, lighten, or fade an opaque tile which reveals my hidden passages in darkened rooms.

[edit] I think darken/lighten/fade should go over opaque tiles: see my bugs level.

You lose something either way, when it's on top of the opaque tiles, then it can't be used in the hidden room.

#14 InsaneJetman

InsaneJetman

• Moderators
  • 295 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:13 AM

You lose something either way, when it's on top of the opaque tiles, then it can't be used in the hidden room.

That's true. Looking at how I've used it, having it on top seems much more useful (consider that my vote). In fact the only shading I think I've even wanted to do in a room so far has been background and not foreground shading.

Foreground shading seems most useful for outdoor settings (i.e. not in a room), or for darkening a whole room. In the latter case I would still prefer to have an opaque tile in that darkened room (see Dungeon Escape) than the room hidden and dark.

I suppose we could have our cake and eat it too if it depended which tile was free range and which wasn't. I would still suggest shading tiles go on top of opaque tiles unless the opaque tile is placed free range. That way I can still double shade with fade-to-black which is done throughout my castle levels:

• Free Range Shading
  • Free Range Opaque
  • Foreground Shading
  • Foreground Opaque

#15 InsaneJetman

InsaneJetman

• Moderators
  • 295 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:40 AM

We had this problem before with the level settings dialog, now we're getting it with the tile groups dialog.

Edit: There was supposed to be an image attachment, but I'm referring to the dialog controls being over-sized.

#16 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 561 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:00 AM

That's true. Looking at how I've used it, having it on top seems much more useful (consider that my vote). In fact the only shading I think I've even wanted to do in a room so far has been background and not foreground shading.

Foreground shading seems most useful for outdoor settings (i.e. not in a room), or for darkening a whole room. In the latter case I would still prefer to have an opaque tile in that darkened room (see Dungeon Escape) than the room hidden and dark.

I think it was like this and I changed it for some reason, but I can't remember it now.  I'll put it back and see if a problem crops up somewhere else.

#17 InsaneJetman

InsaneJetman

• Moderators
  • 295 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:37 PM

I think it was like this and I changed it for some reason, but I can't remember it now.  I'll put it back and see if a problem crops up somewhere else.

Well, if anything crops up somewhere else, point it out and I'd be happy to try come up with ideas of what to do about it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users