Jump to content


Photo

Release Notes, April 4


  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

    Adam

  • Administrators
  • 482 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:49 PM

The new release fixes a long time bug causing jerkiness, and several other reported bugs.  See the blog post here.



#2 Saga Musix

Saga Musix

    Moderator

  • Moderators
  • 178 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:02 PM

Someone noted that parts of the UI are blurry before. The site is displayed at 100% size here, yet I get the same result:

DxEmXx3.png

For some reason, I can't find the attachment options (in the advanced editor) anymore, too...

 

Edit: Is it possible that you re-encoded some sounds? I noticed that especially the gem collection sound had some very heavy MP3 artefacts or something, with a lowpass at ~8Khz (really low). Same applies to the switch sound.



#3 Illari

Illari

    Advanced Member

  • Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:09 PM

I'll have to add that at random times, all the tile captions on a single tab appear in the middle of the tile, and not below.



#4 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

    Adam

  • Administrators
  • 482 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:11 PM

Which parts are blurry?  It looks ok to me.  Maybe just because of the translucency?

 

Actually I did re-encode some sounds, maybe I should have picked a higher bitrate.

 

What do you mean by attachment?



#5 Illari

Illari

    Advanced Member

  • Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:47 AM

Which parts are blurry?  It looks ok to me.  Maybe just because of the translucency?

The tab icons are the most. I don't really mind but they were a bit weird at first.



#6 Saga Musix

Saga Musix

    Moderator

  • Moderators
  • 178 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:48 AM

Actually I did re-encode some sounds, maybe I should have picked a higher bitrate.

Yeah, right now they sound pretty horrible. Those sounds are pretty short, so it really shouldn't matter if they are encoded at 64kbit or 192kbit or whatever.

What do you mean by attachment?

Sorry, I mean on the forums. I tried to attach the screenshot above to the post, but I couldn't find the options for that...

Which parts are blurry? It looks ok to me. Maybe just because of the translucency?

Yeah, the tab icons look slightly blurred to me.

#7 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

    Adam

  • Administrators
  • 482 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:59 AM

Ahh good catches here - the tile picker is scaling by like 1%.

 

I should know better than to rush edit sounds without using headphones - I was tweaking volumes, and I have to manually export to mp3, it's a pain in the ass.  Somebody needs to make a scripted system to convert wav->mp3 with different settings per file, so I can just run "build" - same for photoshop slice saving.  I've re-converted them, will be better in the next release.  I normally use 64kbps for mono and 96kbps for stereo - these were done at 48kbps and I think some were converted to 22khz first :/

 

As for the forums, I applied a big update to IPS so who knows what they changed.. hopefully they fixed the html editing.



#8 Saga Musix

Saga Musix

    Moderator

  • Moderators
  • 178 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:04 PM

Somebody needs to make a scripted system to convert wav->mp3 with different settings per file, so I can just run "build"

In fact, I have done something just like that for ogg samples years ago for one of my games. With the command-line encoders, it's trivial to write, if you put all the settings in a CSV file or such.

#9 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

    Adam

  • Administrators
  • 482 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:47 AM

In fact, I have done something just like that for ogg samples years ago for one of my games. With the command-line encoders, it's trivial to write, if you put all the settings in a CSV file or such.

What language did you use? Just the overhead of figuring out how to build an exe again would take hours, then the idea of parsing a csv in C sounds like a pain. There must be something better out there.

#10 Saga Musix

Saga Musix

    Moderator

  • Moderators
  • 178 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:25 AM

I think I just uses some kind of BASIC dialect back then, probably FreeBASIC or VisualBASIC. That said, it's also possible that I just put one value per line instead of using CSV, it doesn't really matter how you do it. Using C++ and iostreams it's pretty simple, using something like readline (http://www.cplusplus...stream/getline/) should do the trick.

Basically I had a line like this:
infilename,6
which would translate to
oggenc2 infilename.wav -q 6 -o infilename.ogg
With C would probably be quite a hassle indeed, not so much with C++ (with std::strings and iostreams), and probably even less so with something like Python.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users