Square Pixels

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Saga Musix

Saga Musix

• Moderators
  • 193 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:23 AM

As you might know, Jetpack uses Mode 13 320x200 (like most games back then did), which is a 16:10 resolution, but it was normally stretched to 4:3 - the typical monitor aspect ratio back in the days - resulting in non-square pixels.

To the community: How do you prefer to play Jetpack in DOSBox? Do you set aspect=true to get the original "320x200 stretched to 4:3" feeling, or do you use the default settings to get square pixels? I've used square pixels for years and recently tried aspect ratio correction, but it looked kinda wrong.

To Adam: Did you actually consider the non-square-pixel problem back then when creating the graphics? All the tiles are quadratic and look OK when using square pixels, so probably you didn't.

#2 InsaneJetman

InsaneJetman

• Moderators
  • 295 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:58 AM

I run it with square pixels and actually kinda prefer it that way.

Actually, when I started playing with DOSBox and square pixels, I didn't even notice until one time I ran it in an actual 320x200 mode. I can't remember how that came up, I may even have being playing without emulation.

What's even better is running with the hq2x or hq3x scaler (scaler=hq3x under [Render] in the DOSBox configuration file). I'm surprised how good it looks on pretty much all games of that era.

#3 Saga Musix

Saga Musix

• Moderators
  • 193 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:55 PM

Yeah, hq2x/3x is generally good if you want crisp pixels (e.g. if your display would normally scale up and blur the image). Sometimes even some of the smart upsamplers produce nice results. I also think that square pixels are actually good for many games, but especially all the great pinball games from back then ran in weird resolutions where you'd get an ellipse instead of a circle as a ball, so some of them need aspect ratio correction badly. (Worst example: Psycho Pinball)

#4 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 564 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:11 AM

Wow I completely forgot about that, the original would have had tiles that looked taller than they were wide. I probably thought about it but I don't think I had discovered mode x at that point. It was such a barebones project, I'm amazed how quickly I got it done.

#5 Saga Musix

Saga Musix

• Moderators
  • 193 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:32 AM

Yeah, it's a shame that Mode X never was very popular, but then again it was also more complicated to program.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users