#1 OrcishGrunt

OrcishGrunt

Advanced Member

• Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 10:04 PM

Hi, quick question about the "DRM free" Windows downloadable of Jetpack 2

Just for the heck of it, I decided to try running the game offline. (wi-fi on my laptop switched off) The loading screen freezes after the progress bar fills up. With internet on, the game loaded just like normal. Does the game rely on logging in to JetpackHQ every time I start it? I would think that a DRM-free game would be able to run online or offline without issues.

(by the way I did try starting it while online, then switching wi-fi off after the main menu loaded, and the game ran like normal without internet, just without the online level sharing features, of course)

Cheers,

OrcishGrunt

#2 AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer

• Beta Tester
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 02:47 AM

I have the same problem (my gaming system is completely offline) with JetPack 2 never getting past the loading screen.

I would strongly agree with OrcishGrunt that any mandatory online connection constitutes DRM (and ensures the game will cease to function if JetPackHQ goes offline, which any website will one day) and ask for this "feature" to be reconsidered.

#3 OrcishGrunt

OrcishGrunt

Advanced Member

• Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 06:57 AM

Yeah, if I were Adam, I would resolve this right away. The game is advertised as DRM free on the store page, and on the Kickstarter page as well. And really, the login should only be for sharing levels online.

#4 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 560 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 09:22 AM

The problem is people will get an error if they try to use the editor without being authenticated.  But I guess I could just notify them that they will not be able to save when offline.

#5 OrcishGrunt

OrcishGrunt

Advanced Member

• Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 09:28 AM

The problem is people will get an error if they try to use the editor without being authenticated.  But I guess I could just notify them that they will not be able to save when offline.

That would be adequate; just have a dialog that tells users to log in to share levels online, and perhaps instructions on how to import and export levels. (to save them locally)

#6 AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer

• Beta Tester
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 09:34 AM

...But I guess I could just notify them that they will not be able to save when offline.

Please make sure any such message is a once-off, not repeated every time someone plays.

But I have to ask, why require authentication at all? Surely those who've supported this project should be able to use the editor offline, and 10-20 years from now (when this forum/site may well not exist) the editor's functionality should not be cut off.

#7 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 560 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 10:03 AM

It will have to be shown every time they enter the editor, so they know they will not be able to save.

I could have made the level browser browse your filesystem, but then sharing would be a pain.  The main point of making levels is for others to play imho.

#8 InsaneJetman

InsaneJetman

• Moderators
  • 294 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 10:25 AM

I guess the underlying issue is that pretty much everything is stored up here in the 'cloud' and is accessible through our login. Does that include the missions? The saved games themselves do appear to be local, though. I have different games available depending on whether I'm running the web client or the downloaded version.

I would agree that a single 'Local' folder that browses a folder in the file system would be useful especially for offline play. The warning message would state that only this folder can be used offline. I've already made such a folder where I export levels I'm messing around with but probably won't want to actuality save my changes.

#9 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 560 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:30 PM

I was thinking about making an open source generic api server, and a jetpack module for it.  Every game that needs permanent cloud could write a module, so anyone could host their own multi-game server that could serve 50 different games.  Meh, who has time.

#10 InsaneJetman

InsaneJetman

• Moderators
  • 294 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:44 PM

I was thinking about making an open source generic api server, and a jetpack module for it.  Every game that needs permanent cloud could write a module, so anyone could host their own multi-game server that could serve 50 different games.  Meh, who has time.

That would be pretty sweet! But ya, sounds like a lot of effort.

#11 Firebrand

Firebrand

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 07:57 PM

I second the idea for at least an optional login.  I don't mind the inability to share levels prompt so much but I take needing to login to play a game I paid for legitimately (outside the exception of level sharing, as has been replied to/addressed by Adam) to be tantamount to asking my parents if I can have the keys to the car for the night, and I find that despicable as an honest adult.

#12 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 560 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 10:06 PM

Don't worry I'll be taking it out, I didn't really think about it earlier as it was security for the beta.

#13 User7489250

User7489250

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 11:10 PM

Is there a version with this taken out? I currently have no home internet due to AT&T wanting broadband prices for dialup speeds until they install fiber at my apartment. I had hoped to be able to play, as I was a giant fan of the original, and you promised DRM free. However, if there is DRM (and that's what I consider anything that requires a call to a central server in order to play), then I'm pretty disappointed and would ask you to update your webpage to alert people that this DRM free game isn't.

#14 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 560 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 12:44 AM

Not yet, but I will have time to work on this in a few months.

#15 OrcishGrunt

OrcishGrunt

Advanced Member

• Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 08:54 AM

Any updates on this?

#16 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 560 posts

Posted 23 June 2018 - 10:27 AM

I'll be starting on it soon, I finally don't have a job (yay)

#17 OrcishGrunt

OrcishGrunt

Advanced Member

• Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 12:08 PM

Great to see you're still hanging in there Adam! :)

What about Mac/Linux builds? Not as high importance to me personally as offline playability but it would be nice.

#18 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 560 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 09:02 PM

I don't think those are going to happen, there is just about zero interest in Jetpack in the world..

#19 OrcishGrunt

OrcishGrunt

Advanced Member

• Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 07:22 AM

I don't think those are going to happen, there is just about zero interest in Jetpack in the world..

Probably doesn't help that the only place to buy the game is on JetpackHQ.com, with no game distributors selling it. I know I've brought this up somewhere else earlier, but... How hard would it be to get the game on, say, Humble Bundle? I know that GOG and Steam are pretty much ruled out at this point, but I'm wondering, if Jetpack 2 were available on the Humble store, maybe it will reach more potential players? What if it were available as part of one of their bundles, that could perhaps get more people involved as well, maybe someone who buys a bundle to get other specific games will notice Jetpack 2 in the bundle they just bought, and wonders "oh what's this game?" and then they check it out...

Just thinking out loud.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users