• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 483 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 05:59 PM

And we're back!  I feel bad about leaving this in a such broken state for so long, but life issues came up and I had to get a job.  It was bad timing as I had been closing in on the end.

This release contains over 100 bug fixes, for the first time, my bug list is empty.  I'm sure there are still many bugs, so please let me know if you run into them.  I've added one last big feature, scripting, and all features should now be complete.  What remains is only bug fixing, level tweaking, and platform release work.  

I anticipate only 1 final beta release, then will do a soft release for all backers.  Thanks to everyone for your patience.

It's clear that Flash was a very poor choice, and it's pretty much a dead platform.  The release will be "Air" based, which is pretty much the same thing, but still alive.  All the work I did making this most advanced Flash game engine was wasted, it's not worth porting.  This represents a lot of wasted effort.  Oh well, that's in the past.  Any future games I make will probably be HTML5, with someone else's engine.  Next time I make an engine, if ever (I'm shooting for never), it should be open source.

Ini Config & Scripting
Levels now have an embedded "ini" config file that can be used to customize levels in ways not possible before.
* Large text blocks are now embedded in levels.  Give your levels an introduction or story, with journal entries or help popups!
* There are several automatic triggers.  eg: show a notice when the player gets all gems
* There are 2 special sections for editor notes and communication: [editorNotes] [editorTodo]
* When TRIGGER, choose TARGET, execute COMMAND.  Allows for changing properties not accessible before: eg give jetman superjump

See the level editor documentation for details. ==> Level Editor Guide

New Plot, Tutorials, and Space Tileset
The new storyline ties together all the tilesets and gives a reason for all this flying around.  You were trapped on a spaceship by robots, you defeat them and take over the ship.  You now travel to exotic places in search of gems to power your ship.  I created 4 all new tutorial levels that introduce this plot, designed to gently ease new players into the game.  I've spent a lot of time on these because they have to do a lot, and they are the most important in the game: they determine whether new players will get hooked or not.  So far feedback has been positive.  Please let me know your reactions.

Editor Changes
* We now have complete level editor documentation! ==> Level Editor Guide
* Big overhaul of the tile group system, fixing all known bugs.  However, some new ones may have been introduced.  Please check all your levels that use tile groups.
* I've decided to let all tilesets be used in The Infernal Maze release, but only for levels in a release folder.  No going crazy, we still want to keep the industrial theme, but some parts like the new cave tiles in Nature, and the ladders, are really nice to have.
* You can now use all backgrounds as opaque foregrounds.  There is also an opaque version of bricks on the solid layer now to make multiple layering easier.
* Invisible triggers are smaller.  Put several close together to make sure they can't be missed.
* Added keypress to enter grab mode (Z)
* The "Full Editor" release now includes all levels instead of excluding The Infernal Maze.
* Signs/trigger tiles no longer contain scripts.  They only hold an @id@ (switches may also have a switch type).  The id triggers sections of the Ini Config.  Levels are automatically upgraded to the new system on load.
Recommendations:  Check all your levels that use tile groups and report bugs.  Rename [legacy*] sections.  Give all tile groups nicknames.

Other Changes
* LiveCfg - game configuration settings and text are now stored on the server.  This also enables the ability to make the game distributable incomplete, and require an HQ account (and therefore license key) for the game to function.  It also allows me to tweak all games in the wild (eg fix a misspelled word) without doing another release.
* The stunner now stops all enemies.  Being more realistic was breaking too many things.
* I never could get the mission map looking like I wanted.  I guess the time away has given me the perspective I needed, because I finally nailed it and it only took a couple hours!
* Being away for a while gave me some perspective, and I noticed gravity was too light.  Fixed.
* An entity in a moving tile group now has its normal motion paralyzed.
* All text fields now support undo.  This isn't built in to flash, so I had to do it manually, for FSM's sake.
* Sign/trigger editing made easier.

Fixes
* Optimized when there are large numbers of animating tiles (eg Quick Dive)
* Fixed click-to-play on user profiles (website)

Notes
> Opaque tiles aren't see-through in the editor at the moment

That was making it very hard to work on foreground layers with the new fg tiles.  I'll add back a bit of translucency.

> Trigger switches and trigger touch switches don't play any sound when they're pressed

This is intentional, but you can now use playSound in a script to add a sound.

#2 Saga Musix

Saga Musix

• Moderators
  • 178 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 06:15 PM

Holy cow, it's alive! I guess this is the first real reason for me to actually install Flash after reinstalling Windows a while ago...

#3 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 483 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 06:59 PM

I know, right?

I just added the release demo level to the Sneak Preview folder, that shows off the new stuff.

#4 InsaneJetman

InsaneJetman

• Moderators
  • 220 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 11:51 PM

Oh boy, now we know how I'm going to spend my Christmas!

I can't wait to get on this.

#5 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 483 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 11:59 PM

Let me know how you like the new training levels / any suggestions.  It's very difficult teaching and being fun, easy, and challenging all at once.

Also super editors have been tinkering with levels for a while, I had to revert some changes that veered to far from the original level design.  So check your levels, I will be assembling levels to build the final missions soon.

Once I fix any breaking bugs that are found, I will open up the beta to all backers, then we should get an influx of people.

#6 Saga Musix

Saga Musix

• Moderators
  • 178 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 10:05 AM

When entering the elevator in the first tutorial level, the jetman can quite easily turn upside down, depending on when/how you enter. Are you aware of that?

#7 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 483 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 10:31 AM

When entering the elevator in the first tutorial level, the jetman can quite easily turn upside down, depending on when/how you enter. Are you aware of that?

I haven't experienced that, you mean walking in or while it's moving?

#8 Saga Musix

Saga Musix

• Moderators
  • 178 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 10:46 AM

Well, I have to try again, but it might have been while the elevator door was already about to close...

#9 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 483 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 12:46 PM

Well, I have to try again, but it might have been while the elevator door was already about to close...

That's pretty funny, as long as it's rare.

#10 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 483 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 12:47 PM

BTW I was applying acceleration to the balls twice all this time.  Could be why I've had so many issues with balls misaligning ;/

#11 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 483 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 07:09 PM

Just made a minor release to end the year.  This fixes the biggest bugs mentioned and a couple fatal issues I found.  The Infernal Maze mission 1 is now in the release.  And I made some improvements to sound.

> Any keyboard actions seem to become unavailable after some actions, e.g. choosing "become editor" from the context menu of a level. Often, the only solution is to restart the game completely.

I can't reproduce this.  Is it still happening in the new release?

#12 Saga Musix

Saga Musix

• Moderators
  • 178 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 07:38 PM

Just made a minor release to end the year.  This fixes the biggest bugs mentioned and a couple fatal issues I found.  The Infernal Maze mission 1 is now in the release.  And I made some improvements to sound.

> Any keyboard actions seem to become unavailable after some actions, e.g. choosing "become editor" from the context menu of a level. Often, the only solution is to restart the game completely.

I can't reproduce this.  Is it still happening in the new release?

Yep, still happening. For what it's worth, this is the same issue as this: http://www.jetpackhq...on-right-click/

Using the right-click menu steals keyboard focus until I click outside the game and then focus the game again. For what it's worth, I'm using Firefox 64-bit on Windows 7.

#13 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 483 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:58 PM

Ok, another update!

* the swf is now full Jetpack 2, not the Infernal Maze
* fixed & updated scoring
* tweaked the jetpack, slower turn acceleration, especially with jetpack off
* jetman will now automatically do a low jump (down+jump) if there is low headroom
* your web profile page now shows all your levels and folders.  if you want a level to not be shared, put it in a folder with "private" in the title.
* fixed click to play, again
* fixed heavy pushables
* fixed riding boxes pushed by springs
* If you have a level with tile groups no longer working, try enabling triggerRestarts, and disabling proximityStop.

New missions!
* The Infernal Maze part 2
* Impossibilities - 6 extreme difficulty levels
* Jetpack Origins - 110 levels from Jetpack 1 & Xmas

Several physics bugs remain.  When these are fixed, I will send out a big notification to draw more people in here.

I have seen the following bugs randomly, but am unable to reproduce them.  If you find a way, please let me know:
* sign editor becomes unusable.  Can't get the cursor to show.
* game enters a state where it is both editing and playing the level, keys don't work.

#14 KP21121

KP21121

• Beta Tester
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 05:40 PM

Wonderful to see the project alive and relatively close on release!  I like your perseverance, keep up the good job.

#15 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 483 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 07:41 PM

New release!

* Death on impact & death on squish are finally working!  You can no longer fly full speed into walls.  It's not quite perfect because the physics engine is a mess.
* Improved crushed death animation
* I've finally hacked around the missile sludge bug, by changing the shape of the missile from a triangle to a rectangle.
* Fixed some steel ball falling issues
* Added tile trigger option: @trigger/off@
* Added script command resetGroup
* Removed "group:" from group triggers.  You must now use [when groupname], instead of [when group:groupname].  Don't let group names conflict with other trigger names.
* Fixed some space backgrounds that got accidentally changed

Easter Eggs
To all those who ordered easter eggs, your eggs are now in place!
To look up your easter egg location, go to your license keys page

#16 Saga Musix

Saga Musix

• Moderators
  • 178 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 07:59 PM

I somehow have a hunch that "death on impact" is a rather bad idea that will possibly break a couple of levels (or at least increase their par times so they all have to be checked again). I cannot test it right now but it sounds like it will take away some of the fun and make the game more frustrating. Hasn't this been discussed before?

#17 InsaneJetman

InsaneJetman

• Moderators
  • 220 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 09:30 PM

I'll let you know what I conclude about death on impact. I know I like flying around pretty fast, but if it's not too hard a hit that causes death, I think it might be alright. Yes we did discuss it before, I forget all the opinions.

I can't be certain if this was how it worked at one point, but I think that the create effect should also fade in if it has a non-zero duration.

#18 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 483 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:28 PM

Well I tried it once before, but I was relying on box2d to tell me impact values and it was random and crappy.  Now I'm doing it manually and so far in my testing it has been ok, and I think it adds more excitement and is more immersive.  I've also extended the thresholds in cases where it looks like an intentional act, like jumping or flying into a wall.  But full speed will kill you.  Let me know if it is annoying, it can be adjusted.

The problem with create fading in, is the object becomes solid instantly, even while it's barely visible.  I think it's better to create out of view then slide in if possible.

#19 InsaneJetman

InsaneJetman

• Moderators
  • 220 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 04:12 AM

So far the death on impact seems manageable. Generally it's possible to slow down enough before impacts. Will keep playing with it.

I get that barely visible solid objects could be a bit weird, but fading with Duration zero would behave as it does now.

Does Duration even have an effect for create as it is?

I can't even fake create and fade by putting the tile in both a Create and Fade In group and triggering them both.

A fuel tank fading in for 0.5s when it'll take me more than that just to get to it is hardly an issue (see Cave Fortress).

P.S. I added a bug level. Looks like you meant to reduce the stun time for the stun field but your change affected the stunner too.

#20 Saga Musix

Saga Musix

• Moderators
  • 178 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 08:05 AM

My main problems with death on impact are:
- It is not clear when you will die and when you won't. If I jump into spikes it's totally obvious, but it's hard to develop a feeling how fast I can fly before I die.
- Jumping from the top of the level to the bottom also doesn't kill me, so why should flying too fast do that? (and enabling death on falling would make some levels unsolvable, of course)
- It's not more immersive. Every death takes you back into the real world. I think it's not the game mechanics that should punish you but the level design - that is, unless I build something into the level that could kill the player, there should be no way they can die.
- This is introduced way too late in the development cycle and we have to potentially recheck every level if it's still doable (within par times).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users