20 replies to this topic

#1 OrcishGrunt

OrcishGrunt

Advanced Member

• Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 12:06 PM

These are my custom made Jetpack 2 levels. I will update this list as I make more. Feedback is greatly appreciated!

Candy Labyrinth

Not another cave!

Golden Labyrinth 1

Golden Labyrinth 2

Golden Labyrinth 3

The Lost Castle

(Hint: that foam block is there for a reason. ;) )

Watch Out for Those Spikes!

Based on a level I made in Jetpack DOS. B)

#2 OrcishGrunt

OrcishGrunt

Advanced Member

• Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 05:54 PM

Added new level: The Lost Castle

http://www.jetpackhq...unt/level/2417/

Feedback in this thread would be appreciated, thanks!

#3 Illari

Illari

Advanced Member

• Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 06:03 PM

They have good gameplay. If I were making them, I guess I'd 'improve' random details in the graphics over and over again in whatever arbitrary ways, but I notice levels tend lose their lightness of touch at least when I do that. Checkpoints make levels more accessible, and they can be turned off somewhere when you want to have a 'perfectionist' run, though if I recall correctly it doesn't work yet. At least I go through the esc menu anyways when I die because I want to reset time and score, so at least to me it doesn't make a difference if I die and then go through esc menu because I want to avoid checkpoints.

#4 OrcishGrunt

OrcishGrunt

Advanced Member

• Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 12:32 PM

They have good gameplay. If I were making them, I guess I'd 'improve' random details in the graphics over and over again in whatever arbitrary ways, but I notice levels tend lose their lightness of touch at least when I do that. Checkpoints make levels more accessible, and they can be turned off somewhere when you want to have a 'perfectionist' run, though if I recall correctly it doesn't work yet. At least I go through the esc menu anyways when I die because I want to reset time and score, so at least to me it doesn't make a difference if I die and then go through esc menu because I want to avoid checkpoints.

Thanks. I will plan on adding checkpoints (as well as par/master times) down the road.

#5 OrcishGrunt

OrcishGrunt

Advanced Member

• Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 02:25 PM

Added WIP level: GOG logo

http://www.jetpackhq...n59/level/2420/

Testing/feedback is welcome.

#6 OrcishGrunt

OrcishGrunt

Advanced Member

• Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 03:58 PM

Whew... it's been a while

With the game released, it's as good a time as any to get back to making levels. (And relearn the puzzles from the ones I made, lol)

More levels coming soon!

EDIT: today I playtested The Lost Castle and revised it

#7 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 560 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 09:15 AM

Welcome back!

BTW the gog link in your sig appears to have been deleted.

Anyone new reading this, change the urls to start with "www.jetpackhq.com/OrcishGrunt/" as his username has changed.

#8 OrcishGrunt

OrcishGrunt

Advanced Member

• Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 09:43 AM

Welcome back!

BTW the gog link in your sig appears to have been deleted.

Anyone new reading this, change the urls to start with "www.jetpackhq.com/OrcishGrunt/" as his username has changed.

Way ahead of you, already changed the links.

#9 InsaneJetman

InsaneJetman

• Moderators
  • 294 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:41 PM

So I gave your levels a try. Fun stuff! :)

Golden Labyrinth 1

• I like the back-and-forth pattern you have to follow to get to the door.
  • Nice overall feel with compartmentalized rooms.
  • I'd pick master/par times of 1:40 / 2:05
  • My best time: 1:25.9 / 1:28.6 @0
  • Something like the gem at (0,9) should probably be treasure because it can become impossible if you phase too many foam blocks.
  • Could use a couple checkpoints.
  • Running around the by the missile is a little tricky compared to the rest of the level. Missiles are actually a little faster than they were when you probably first made this. If you don't want to re-shape things, you can always slow them back down with a script like this:
[when autoInit]
target type=Missile
set speed=0.8

Golden Labyrinth 2

• Nice design. I like the start section where you need to jump on the marble.
  • The challenge requiring you go back for the idol works well.
  • Be sure to place a checkpoint by the fuel vaporizer so you don't get stuck on death, probably a couple more too.
  • I'd pick master/par times of 2:25 / 3:00
  • My best time: 2:13.6 @0
  • There's a sorta bug where the enemies get stuck in with the idol. This issue has been brought up before, and it's there because it's a fix to a different bug. I've come up with a fix that usually works. Place an invisible trigger on the dead end teleport with "@goBack/entity@" and then add the script below. If you do this on this level, it will slow you down a some, so maybe add 10 seconds to master/par times.
[when goBack triggerBind]
target trigger
set y+=18
tick
set y-=18

The Lost Castle

• Nice theme, I like how you have to break in.
  • I'm pretty sure that the green gem at (17,12) is impossible to get.
  • Scary death traps! I jumped when those knights appeared.
  • You might consider using a trigger touch switch in the centre, especially if you want the foam block to be able to trigger it (if not just use "/player" in the command).
  • Deathtraps 2&3 only need one tile group

General Thoughts

• Don't use the Reset-on-Death flag unless it's really necessary. There's a couple levels in the Infernal Maze which use it, and you can probably see why: Magic Platforms and Playing With Buttons have switches which should be reset, and Risk for Big Fat Gold! needs the missiles to be put back so everything works right - I just took this flag off Cave Fortress which doesn't need it.
  • You've got lots of windows 'n such on layer 6 when they should probably be on layer 2.
  • There's always more prettying up one can do. Personally, I like to keep things fairly simple without too much mixing of themes and styles.
  • I'm sure you'll be coming up with lots of good stuff yet. :D
  • You can always steal ideas from the Infernal Maze (I hope you like those levels) and elsewhere.

#10 OrcishGrunt

OrcishGrunt

Advanced Member

• Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:53 AM

snip

Thanks for the feedback! I'll give these levels some tweaking.

#11 OrcishGrunt

OrcishGrunt

Advanced Member

• Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:44 AM

The Lost Castle

snip

• I'm pretty sure that the green gem at (17,12) is impossible to get.
Spoiler

#12 OrcishGrunt

OrcishGrunt

Advanced Member

• Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:10 PM

OK, I revised all 3 of the levels in the OP, and I have a third Golden Labyrinth level in the works!

#13 InsaneJetman

InsaneJetman

• Moderators
  • 294 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 02:54 AM

You're meant to push the foam block on top of the spring, then use the spring-block combo as an elevator for getting the gem safely.

Geez, I looked at that block, figured it was useless, phased it, promptly forgot about it, and then spent forever looking for a way down to the gem without dying. Now I feel dumb. Well, now that I can finish that level, I'd pick master/par times of 2:00 and 2:20. The reason my 80% rule of thumb (actually I think that's another thread I brought that up in) doesn't work here is the big long phase under the castle that takes the same amount of time no matter how well you're playing.

OK, I revised all 3 of the levels in the OP, and I have a third Golden Labyrinth level in the works!

Looking good, and looking forward to the next. One thing I'm not sure you may not realize is that you can place multiple tiles from the same layer on the same square if you place all tiles beyond the first as free-range (shift+click). As a result you can do things in The Lost Castle like place your invisible trigger precisely on top of the idol (you don't need 2 any more), maybe put invisible triggers on top of both the green gems in the middle, and put ladder covers on the top ladders - at (5,1) and (20,1).

#14 OrcishGrunt

OrcishGrunt

Advanced Member

• Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 01:59 PM

New level: Watch Out for Those Spikes

Based on an imported level from Jetpack DOS

Now in OP list

#15 OrcishGrunt

OrcishGrunt

Advanced Member

• Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 07:50 PM

Now introducing..... Golden Labyrinth 3!!!!

Enjoy

https://secure.jetpa...unt/level/3111/

#16 OrcishGrunt

OrcishGrunt

Advanced Member

• Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 12:59 PM

New level!!!!!

Candy Labyrinth

Check out my "Works in Progress" folder to see what I have under construction, if you wish...

#17 InsaneJetman

InsaneJetman

• Moderators
  • 294 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:24 PM

I just played through Golden Labyrinth 3. Good stuff! 1:55 for that first completion, but not until after I had already managed to fall for half of your death traps! Fuel sure is tight too. Fuel shortages can be tricky to manage, good work.

I'll try Candy Labytinth soon.

#18 cudekaga

cudekaga

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 09:08 AM

I think is ok, but not perfect :)

#19 OrcishGrunt

OrcishGrunt

Advanced Member

• Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 08:52 AM

Been inactive lately mainly because of college/work/etc. Maybe I'll finish the levels I was working on that are incomplete. Would like to get back to it, the level editor is a ton of fun.

#20 OrcishGrunt

OrcishGrunt

Advanced Member

• Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 08:32 PM

Finished at last!!! (first draft anyways :D)

EDIT: added a journal entry. In the hopes that some day we will have the ability to create our own mission packs, I threw in a little story, with the possibility of turning this into a series of levels with a plot. For now, just enjoy the level, and let me know what you think! No par/master times yet

Not another cave!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users