• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 501 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:42 PM

My neck took me out for a week, but with this release we're getting really close.

Gameplay
* Adjusted scoring, the more achievements you get at once, the better score.  See in-game help.
* Improved collision damage detection
* Slowed default game speed down by 14.3%, so I have increased all par & expert times by this percentage.
* Due to flash bugs, I had to create my own ui buttons
* Sounds: added dynamic boom on heavy object impact, & added bat wing flap
* Fixed ball issues
* Fixed Jetman jumping off curves
* The time icon now turns yellow when you miss the master time, and red when you miss the par time

Easification
* Added a tutorial level, and using the help system in addition to the journal
* Added more detailed help
* The game now has its own preloader screen, with tips

Editor
* In the full editor release, 2 folders will now show levels from all releases: Bug Reports & Beta Testing
* Added German Eszett key for setting tile groups
* Pasting & drawing is now clipped by the selection rectangle & grid mask

Changes that may break some levels
* Heavy blocks are now REALLY heavy - Jetman can't even stand under one without being crushed.
* Changed bat behavior so it doesn't stay stuck to walls

Can't Repro - fixed?
> Any new fade effects I create don't work.

#2 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 501 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:05 PM

Update Released
Every time I watch a new person play the first 2 levels, I end up with a list of 10-20 changes.  I've made a ton of changes for new players in the last 2 months, and I'm seeing a huge improvement in the experience for new players.

* Made the help font bigger, changed all the colors
* Changed how the journal works, please delete all old saved games.  The journal now shows proper keys even if you switch layouts.
* Added 'C' key for fly/jump, so shift/ctrl can be avoided completely
* Now defaulting to the alt keyset (SPACE to fly), for the web platform

> Music still doesn't restart, when pressing enter before the dying music has ended.

I can't repro this, please provide more info if possible.

#3 Illari

Illari

Advanced Member

• Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:46 AM

Where did all the levels from the full editor go? ¨:|

#4 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 501 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:46 PM

Where did all the levels from the full editor go? ¨:|

They are in the "full editor" release, below The Infernal Maze release.

#5 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 501 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:48 PM

I'd like to ask everyone a favor:

If you have friends or family who are not game experts, could you get them to play the first 2 levels without giving them any hints, and let me know what problems they run into?

Thanks!

#6 Illari

Illari

Advanced Member

• Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:34 PM

They are in the "full editor" release, below The Infernal Maze release.

I'm not seeing them, maybe they're set visible for only some. My levels and a folder I made only show levels made in the Infernal Maze editor as well. I can't see any of the older levels in any of the folders, nor can open them via the my levels page.

#7 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 501 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:08 PM

Ahh, I made a mistake in the last build, thanks! Give it a try now.

#8 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 501 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:58 PM

Update Released
* Added bounce to some GUI elements, including help windows
* Added a "bounce" easing to tile group effects
* The game now works when shrunk.  The editor uses mission-style scrolling with arrow keys.

Bug Levels

Won't Fix
speed - this is an interesting one.  Jetman is simultaneously riding on the triangle, walking on it, and pushing it.  I don't see any easy way to break this kind of cycle without breaking riding.
spikes kill - this is a limitation of the physics engine, no easy way around it

#9 Saga Musix

Saga Musix

• Moderators
  • 179 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:00 PM

I think the danger of killing yourself when flying horizontally into a wall is too high. Makes up for a lot of unnecessary deaths.

#10 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 501 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:38 AM

I think the danger of killing yourself when flying horizontally into a wall is too high. Makes up for a lot of unnecessary deaths.

Is there a certain level you're having trouble on due to this?

#11 Saga Musix

Saga Musix

• Moderators
  • 179 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:18 AM

Not specifically I think, I was just flying a horizontal line in the Jet-Pac level for about 10 tiles or so and crashed into a wall. I think it's completely unnecessary to make the game artificially "harder" with this.

#12 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 501 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:53 AM

I'm not really trying to make it harder, just trying to keep a level of realism.  If you are flying full tilt and run into a wall head first, it doesn't make sense that you don't get hurt.

#13 Saga Musix

Saga Musix

• Moderators
  • 179 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:57 AM

Well, I personally think that it kills the fun, and that's crucial. It wouldn't be a problem at all if the health status had more states than dead/alive. But this way, the game just prevents the player from quickly going through a level, because they always have to check whether they're going too fast.

#14 Juan G

Juan G

Advanced Member

• Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:05 PM

Gameplay
* Adjusted scoring, the more achievements you get at once, the better score.  See in-game help.
* Improved collision damage detection
* Due to flash bugs, I had to create my own ui buttons
* The time icon now turns yellow when you miss the master time, and red when you miss the par time

Easification
* The game now has its own preloader screen, with tips

Update Released
* Changed how the journal works, please delete all old saved games.  The journal now shows proper keys even if you switch layouts.

Update Released
* Added bounce to some GUI elements, including help windows

All these changes are great. Well done, Adam!

* Now defaulting to the alt keyset (SPACE to fly), for the web platform

It's a bit strange that the alternate keyset is now the default one. :P

> Music still doesn't restart, when pressing enter before the dying music has ended.

I can't repro this, please provide more info if possible.

This happens to me too. The level music is turned off if you die and press Enter fast enough, even before the dying music starts.

* Added a tutorial level, and using the help system in addition to the journal

The tutorial level is OK, but now the game has a tutorial level and an introductory level, which is a bit repetitive. You get too many pop-ups in these two first levels (help system & journal), and some of them explain exactly the same things. Why don't you make the first level easier and remove the tutorial?

If you want to keep both levels, then the tutorial level should be moved outside the mission pack, so at the start of the game you can choose among the 3 mission packs and the tutorial. This would also allow experienced players to skip the tutorial. Just my opinion. :)

#15 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 501 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:09 PM

The tutorial level is OK, but now the game has a tutorial level and an introductory level, which is a bit repetitive. You get too many pop-ups in these two first levels (help system & journal), and some of them explain exactly the same things. Why don't you make the first level easier and remove the tutorial?

If you want to keep both levels, then the tutorial level should be moved outside the mission pack, so at the start of the game you can choose among the 3 mission packs and the tutorial. This would also allow experienced players to skip the tutorial. Just my opinion. :)

Yeah I didn't think it was necessary either, until I watched a majority of people only skim the help, not know what to do, get frustrated and quit.  This way at least people are making it through, the average new user play time is now 30 minutes, vs 10 without the tutorial.

I feel like the main audience for games now is like people scanning magazines in a rack, anything the slightest bit complicated is going to lose half of them.

#16 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 501 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:07 AM

Well, I personally think that it kills the fun, and that's crucial. It wouldn't be a problem at all if the health status had more states than dead/alive. But this way, the game just prevents the player from quickly going through a level, because they always have to check whether they're going too fast.

Yeah I agree, maybe higher would work.  I've raised the head impact death threshold for the next release, let me know how you like it.

#17 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 501 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:28 AM

Update Released
* Added live background elements to the intro & title page
* Implemented level unlocking via idol count, added idol locks to several levels

* Added HOME+i to increase your idol count (to unlock levels)
* After beating a level, the level preview closes immediately
* Increased head-impact-death threshold
* I realized my monitor is set brighter than average, so I brightened the mission background.
* Removed some signs from the tutorial
* Lowered the volumes of the splash music to match the lowered mod music

* This is it - this release is going in front of game portals for bidding.

* Please delete any bug levels you've made if they are now fixed.

> If Jetman dies and you press Enter to restart the game fast enough (before the die music is played), the level music isn't played again until you restart the level or die one more time.

I'm still unable to repro this - is there a certain type of death, level, or song this happens with?
Note the splash sound does cause flash to lower all volumes for a while, but they should come back.

#18 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 501 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:37 PM

Update Released
* In the mission map, levels no longer expand on mouseover, click is required.  This fixes a lot of recurring issues.  Now the level title shows on mouseover.
* Mission map has been brightened and enhanced, map is completely changed

> After I delete the last saved game, the button still says "Continue Game" and I have trouble making a new game.

Fixed, let me know if trouble continues.

#19 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 501 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:30 AM

Maybe I'll get rid of death on flying too fast into a wall - any other opinions?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users