• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 483 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:54 PM

The first 2 levels were not getting enough positive response, so I completely changed them and added a few features.  Please let me know if you can think of anything to add to the first few levels to increase the "wow" factor.

Release Notes
* feel & responsiveness has been greatly improved, due to jetman stopping faster, rewriting the keyboard code and fixing a couple bugs, including one that caused major input latency the lower your framerate got.
* as part of the responsiveness push, made missiles & balls accelerate much faster - check your timings
* checkpoints no longer remember your fuel - you keep the fuel you had when you died (unless the level resets)
* columns moved behind bricks
* added more code to identify where those #1009 errors are occuring
* made the coins spin
* improved tile group fading when multiple groups apply to a single tile
* several bugs fixed

Editor Changes
* Big editor update.  Selection and group assignment are no longer separate modes.  A lot of editor internals changed, there will be bugs.
* The default cursor action when there is no draw tile is now selection, instead of grab.  To clear the current draw tile and get to selection mode, press backspace.
* You can edit with tile groups visible.  Press backslash then A-Z to toggle selection tile groups.  Do this while drawing to set tile groups of the draw tile.
* Editor clipboard now has 20 levels.  Keep pressing shift+V to access earlier copies.
* Grid lock is now very sticky - backspace and number no longer clear it - you must manually reenable layers, or press SHIFT+BACKSPACE.  This is to make editing under opaque easier.
* Added a level setting: disable stains - for levels where stains look weird
* NEW TILE: invisible safety gate - for keeping enemies contained
* NEW TILE: small peg - for making physics toys like pachinko
* NEW TILE: journal - currently for internal use only

#2 Saga Musix

Saga Musix

• Moderators
  • 178 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:38 PM

* You can edit with tile groups visible.  Press backslash then A-Z to toggle selection tile groups.  Do this while drawing to set tile groups of the draw tile.

I don't think that's going to work on various keyboard layouts, e.g. on a German layout, backslash is an AltGr+Key combination.

#3 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 483 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:23 PM

I don't think that's going to work on various keyboard layouts, e.g. on a German layout, backslash is an AltGr+Key combination.

Hmm, I could change it to front slash, that's unused now.

#4 InsaneJetman

InsaneJetman

• Moderators
  • 220 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:33 PM

No more fly & phase?

#5 BillyMaysFan59

BillyMaysFan59

• Beta Tester
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:17 AM

Excellent! I'm glad to see this project is still coming along. Good work.

#6 InsaneJetman

InsaneJetman

• Moderators
  • 220 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:12 AM

I think the steel balls are too dangerous now. They should be slowed down.

Also, note they're fast enough to (usually) roll over single tile hole without falling which is a problem.

Edit: Have a look at Blast Off to see the bad things they're doing.

#7 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 483 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:41 AM

I think the steel balls are too dangerous now. They should be slowed down.

Also, note they're fast enough to (usually) roll over single tile hole without falling which is a problem.

Edit: Have a look at Blast Off to see the bad things they're doing.

I haven't changed their speed, it's slightly faster than Jetman.  I thought of slowing it down but that would break a lot of old timings.

Rolling over holes is bad though.

What's wrong with fly & phase?

#8 InsaneJetman

InsaneJetman

• Moderators
  • 220 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:59 PM

Fly & phase doesn't lock onto the brick you're phasing any more. I put a level in the Bug Reports folder to demonstrate.

#9 InsaneJetman

InsaneJetman

• Moderators
  • 220 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:44 PM

* Grid lock is now very sticky - backspace and number no longer clear it - you must manually reenable layers, or press SHIFT+BACKSPACE.  This is to make editing under opaque easier.

I'd go one step further and not clear it after playtesting the level.

I haven't changed their speed, it's slightly faster than Jetman.  I thought of slowing it down but that would break a lot of old timings.

Rolling over holes is bad though.

I know the speed is the same. They just seem more formidable not that they turn around so quickly. Also, sludge doesn't slow them down (it did in the original).

I don't know that too much timing is currently dependant on steel ball speed, Juan G's You Have Only One Try and my Automatic Doors come to mind, generally they're just enemies to be avoided.

I actually don't mind their current speed. It's the novice who may find them fast.

#10 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 483 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 05:14 PM

Oh, you meant phasing upwards.

Ahh I wasn't thinking steel ball acceleration, that is a big change.  Maybe I'll make them a bit slower than Jetman.

#11 Saga Musix

Saga Musix

• Moderators
  • 178 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:20 PM

Hmm, I could change it to front slash, that's unused now.

Front slash is Shift+7. There aren't many non-alphanumeric characters that you can use: <,.-#+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users