• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 501 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:27 PM

* I found a way to simulate starting friction, so 4 heavy crates in a row can't be pushed.  Physics have changed, so please make sure your levels still work!
* Springs still aren't behaving, so I have locked their X position.  They can't rotate, or move horizontally now.
* Acceleration has been increased for jetman, the feel is more retro and allows for quicker action
* Jetpack 2 is very retro looking, so I think it needs a few really cool visual effects. I've tweaked the hell out of the smoke, and restored full physics to the smoke particles.  Is the smoke too much?  I just like playing with it.  Note this is a cpu hog mainly because of the physics, it will thin out a lot if auto-quality degradation kicks in (there are 3 degradation levels, when fps drops below 36, 24, and 15).
* Raised the threshold for death on head impact
* More sounds & fixes

Bug Levels
repulsor glitch - cant repro
alignment - wont fix
effect timing - i dont see the bug

#2 Saga Musix

Saga Musix

• Moderators
  • 179 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 07:41 PM

Love the much snappier movement - although jetpack takeoff inertia almost feels too much now.

#3 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 501 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:20 PM

Love the much snappier movement - although jetpack takeoff inertia almost feels too much now.

Yeah, I was bothered by that too, but I think its just normal physics.  Unless.. there's a cap on run speed but that cap is removed when the jetpack is on - maybe its still allowing run acceleration with the cap off.

#4 InsaneJetman

InsaneJetman

• Moderators
  • 244 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:47 AM

Looking good Adam!

When I first tried this release everything seemed harder and I was playing much worse and I couldn't put my finger on it. It felt like I was playing at +2 speed. I guess I've trained myself on how the physics were before. I'm sure I'll get used to the current system. If there's anything that's rubbing me the wrong way after a bunch of practice, I'll let you know.

Ya, at first the smoke might be a bit much, but it looks really cool and I don't mind it. When you think how much thrust it would take for a real jetpack to work, it's probably quite justified.

I think I actually prefer the jetpack takeoff inertia now.

Is the current spring behaviour a temporary measure? Perhaps stopping any horizontal movement on every bounce is most realistic? As long as I can still push a spring down a corridor of height 1 with a crate.

I had always pictured springs as making more of a 'boing' than the rusty old spring sound. I'm no Foley artist so don't know if that would actually sound any good tho.

I hope the head impact change helps. I will test it. I had some absurdly unfair deaths before. I could die in a 2x2 room if I did a perfect jump/fly takeoff. I even died climbing a ladder once. I had begun to wonder if it made any difference if I had a button down (up most likely) at the time of impact.

Bug Levels:

effect timing: I thought I deleted that level, it was fixed a few releases ago.

repulsor glitch: I consider this pretty minor. There are 2 kinds of jumps: straight up and sideways. In a sideways jump, you can turn around instantly (good thing for workable game play). However if in the midst of a sideways jump you are pushed further sideways with a repulsor, then when you turn around instantly it looks a little weird. Perhaps being repulsed should take you out of jump mode and put you in fall mode. I don't know if that's practical, but again: minor issue IMO.

#5 DarkWolfNine

DarkWolfNine

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 100 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:32 PM

Apologies for my absence. Work, holidays, and a family emergency. Anyway, I have my company's Christmas party on Friday evening. The plan is to get back into the game & editor this weekend.  I will re-check my levels against the new physics, etc. ) Then I will start assisting on other items as needed.

@Insane, I might need your assistance in giving my levels, new run times. (once you get used to the new physics, and barring any changes needed in my levels) I will do my best getting run times myself, first.

Also, with the new Missions format. I probably shouldn't keep my level series 1-10 any longer. What do you guys think? 

Thanks,
~Christopher

#6 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 501 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:56 PM

Is the current spring behaviour a temporary measure? Perhaps stopping any horizontal movement on every bounce is most realistic? As long as I can still push a spring down a corridor of height 1 with a crate.

I had always pictured springs as making more of a 'boing' than the rusty old spring sound. I'm no Foley artist so don't know if that would actually sound any good tho.

I hope the head impact change helps. I will test it. I had some absurdly unfair deaths before. I could die in a 2x2 room if I did a perfect jump/fly takeoff. I even died climbing a ladder once. I had begun to wonder if it made any difference if I had a button down (up most likely) at the time of impact.

The spring was actually moving in midair, I'm not sure why but this physics engine is a nightmare.  I can try that.

My sound guys kept giving me boing sounds that were too cartoonish, if you can find something better I'll try it but it takes a lot of time to edit those.

I had some weird random head impact deaths too, again physics engine issues :/

#7 Illari

Illari

Advanced Member

• Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 12:53 AM

How do I open There and Back Again, and why is there 4 jewels, and some other effect around that level's and Disappearing Maze's thumbnail?

#8 InsaneJetman

InsaneJetman

• Moderators
  • 244 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:50 PM

Disappearing Maze has it's hidden talisman move into the starting location after you get the idol. Before it moves in it's sitting off screen (or it was, I've moved it now and it's under a block). It seems that this off-screen talisman is visible when you load the level.

Although this shouldn't be an issue for Disappearing Maze any more now that I've changed it, Puzzling Fortress (i.e. Cave Fortress, what's the deal with the name difference btw?) still has it's row of treasure which can be seen as it's loaded.

Edit: I've put Disappearing Maze back how it was. I see now why I had it that way. When it's in the wall, you can see it as the level appears and disappears.

#9 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 501 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:04 AM

At the branch, I wanted to make it clear that one path was puzzles and one path was action.

The gems on a level preview are something I was using to show a special level that will have to be unlocked, but I'm getting rid of them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users