• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 553 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:54 AM

I've fixed about half of the bugs, added lots of sounds and a few new features.  Please note that saving progress still doesn't work yet.

New features
* added a "safety gate" tile, that enemies cannot pass
* added a "stun field" tile, that stuns anything that touches it
* jetman can now be killed by any significant impact.  The head is more vulnerable.  The physics engine isn't great at reporting all impacts correctly though.
* different victory music plays for beating a level at par & master times
* fixed some trapping issues.  You can trap enemies in moving objects like styrofoam - try it!
* Since flash is always messing with volume, trying to balance volumes just via gameplay wasn't working well.  I created a tool to adjust volumes, and balanced all sounds and music.

I can't reproduce the following:
> Edit any level, press Ctrl+L to open the Level Settings ... spacing doubled
> groups dialog controls are over-sized.

As always, please delete your bug levels if they are fixed.  Thanks!

#2 Juan G

Juan G

Advanced Member

• Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:26 PM

Good job, Adam! I deleted some of my bug levels because they were fixed. And the journal is much better with the new font!

Some new bugs:
- The sound on/off button of the level editor isn't working.
- I can't drag the mouse to choose a group of blocks when the Tile Group dialog is visible.

> Edit any level, press Ctrl+L to open the Level Settings ... spacing doubled

Yeah, it's hard to reproduce, but it's happened several times to me just right now, and it's very annoying. After testing the editor for a while, I think the problem is related to the automatic quality change. Try to manually lower the image quality with the right-click menu and then press Ctrl+L before the quality is auto-adjusted.

#3 OrcishGrunt

OrcishGrunt

Advanced Member

• Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:44 PM

Nice job! I'm thinking about preordering the game some time sooner or later, I've enjoyed Jetpack 1 a lot so I know the sequel is going to be an epic one.

#4 InsaneJetman

InsaneJetman

• Moderators
  • 283 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:52 PM

I also had this happening with the Level Settings dialog. It had to do with pausing the game and coming back to it. It isn't consistent tho, I'll see if I can put my finger on just what's going on tho. It hasn't actually happened to me this release tho so maybe the problem went away.

- I can't drag the mouse to choose a group of blocks when the Tile Group dialog is visible.

I second this, group editing is tricky again.

Also, I am seeing a debug output window whenever I finish play testing a level.

#5 Juan G

Juan G

Advanced Member

• Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 02:09 PM

New features
* different victory music plays for beating a level at par & master times

I like the new victory songs, they let you instantly know whether you've beaten the par/master time. However, the songs are played even if you've turned off the music with the bottom-right button.

This is also happening to me.

#6 InsaneJetman

InsaneJetman

• Moderators
  • 283 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 03:04 PM

I like the new victory songs, they let you instantly know whether you've beaten the par/master time. However, the songs are played even if you've turned off the music with the bottom-right button.

I sort-of like that it's played regardless.

I just had another idea for an achievement: destroy everything (Breakable Crates, Glass Pitfalls, and Styrofoam Blocks).

"Styrofoam" is a trademarked brand name btw, so maybe the tile should just be 'Foam Block'.

#7 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 553 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 03:21 PM

Thanks for the heads up on Styrofoam ™!

Any feedback on the following?

* safety gate & stun field tiles

* dying from hitting your head too hard

* new sounds

* remaining objects that really need sounds

* the journal - do you read it / ignore it, like it / dislike it / dont care? i'm planning many more journal entries throughout the mission

#8 InsaneJetman

InsaneJetman

• Moderators
  • 283 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 04:50 PM

I love the stun fields! The stun time seemed kinda long at first, but I think it's probably good that it's the same as shields and stunners so wouldn't change it. Interesting that you can still fly and phase when stunned, don't know if you intended that. I like having a safety gate, but am not sold on the graphic. In 'Flypaper', I put a pipe behind it to improve the look. I like that it's akin to the barriers tho.

I don't really like the dying from hitting your head. It's something I suppose might grow on me tho. I think it's a little buggy yet. In my tests with controlled setups, it all seems okay (so far), but when testing levels, I've had some pretty unfair seeming deaths. If I manage come up with a reliable way to reproduce that, I'll put something in the bugs folder.

I like most of the new sounds.

New sounds needed (maybe):

• activating a checkpoint
  • springs when they bounce
  • stun field (radius of only 1 square)
  • other silent enemies

I like the journal and read it, however if I have already seen the entry I don't really want it popping up again.

#9 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 553 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 11:32 AM

Yes the idea is that you can only move your fingers, to the phase & jet buttons.  That way you still have a chance to escape when stunned :)

Once game saving is working, you won't keep seeing the same journal popups.

#10 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 553 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 02:05 PM

This is a weird one, can't repro.  Is there anything in the output window?

#11 Juan G

Juan G

Advanced Member

• Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:18 PM

This is a weird one, can't repro.  Is there anything in the output window?

I suppose InsaneJetman is referring to the following message:

**** WARNING: hook already exists \\ "showHelpSmall" \\ function Function() {} (MethodClosure)

This error is shown after finishing a level in the editor. It's not displayed the first time a level is finished though.

#12 InsaneJetman

InsaneJetman

• Moderators
  • 283 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:48 PM

I've been playing some of the game. I don't like the auto-scrolling of the world. I think it should only scroll when the mouse is within a certain distance of the edge. I don't like clicking on something that's moving under my mouse cursor (even if it's huge and hard to miss).

While I'm on the subject, the same applies to the auto scrolling of the drop-down menus (for selecting music etc.).

#13 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 553 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:22 AM

Yeah I'm gonna improve that.  The behavior of the flash drop downs is beyond my control though :/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users