Photo

Back in ye olde days (or: your first Jetpack experience)

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 GaryCXJk

GaryCXJk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 05:41 PM

Everybody has this special moment when they discover something that is truly amazing, or at least, amazing in their eyes. So, the same must be the case with the first Jetpack (I mean, it's why most people even know about Jetpack 2 in the first place right?) So, what was your first Jetpack experience?

Back when I was younger, I could mostly only play shareware games. Sure before that I had full releases on 3'5" floppy disks, but most of my game experience game from shareware. The same went for Jetpack. I believe it was one of those CD-ROMs that contained all these DOS games, which came with a certain magazine. Unfortunately it was only shareware, meaning a lot of levels probably weren't there (I do mean probably, because I never got past the first few levels), and the level editor could only store one level. Of course, I found a way around it (simply rename the old level's file), so there's that.

#2 Illari

Illari

Advanced Member

• Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:29 PM

and the level editor could only store one level. Of course, I found a way around it (simply rename the old level's file), so there's that.

Haha I used to do that. :lol:

Later I got the full version from somewhere, I was always super careful to use fuel as little as possible and I never even got past the first level but then my cousin just beat it on his first try as he was actually using his jetpack, and both of us got pretty far later on. I also took a long time to find out what the phaser was supposed to do.

#3 Saga Musix

Saga Musix

• Moderators
  • 193 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:46 AM

Haha I used to do that. :lol:

Seems like everyone did that. We also just had the shareware version back then. I was a very little kid when I first played it and it was a lot of fun, and it still is today! Still have many levels from back then.

#4 exactspace

exactspace

• Beta Tester
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:47 AM

80 Megahits. I still have the disc!

Posted Image

#5 Ductos

Ductos

• Beta Tester
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:25 AM

Got the Shareware version on a 3.5" floppy, just about a week after my father switched from OS/2 Warp 4 to DOS 6.22 and Windows for Workgroups 3.11

Didn't understand a thing, since I hadn't learned English yet (I'm German), but still found ways to figure most of the things about it by myself.

#6 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 564 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:21 PM

Too bad you didn't find the German language version, that's the only translation we did!

#7 Saga Musix

Saga Musix

• Moderators
  • 193 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:12 PM

Whoa really :o Seems like it wasn't very widespread then, because we and our friends only had the english version back then as well. Mind you, it didn't make much of a difference when I was 5 years old. :D We just learned the keyboard shortcuts back then and that was it... :D

#8 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 564 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:38 PM

Yep, I just uploaded it here: http://www.jetpackhq...tpackgermanzip/

#9 Phenomellama

Phenomellama

• Beta Tester
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:23 PM

It was at my Dad's friend Gary's house. He had the full version, and I was maybe five years old.
I didn't get too far. After they figured out that I was too young and didn't really have the time to figure it out, they opened a paint program and I made one of those sweet things where you make the shapes all over and fill them with different colors.

#10 DarkWolfNine

DarkWolfNine

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 100 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:28 PM

ExactSpace, English version d/l? Gotta catch em all! :)

#11 Ductos

Ductos

• Beta Tester
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:18 AM

I wasn't aware of the German version until now.

Thanks, Adam :)

Will give it a try soon.

#12 exactspace

exactspace

• Beta Tester
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:31 AM

Sorry, not sure what you are saying here. What is d/l?

#13 Illari

Illari

Advanced Member

• Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:30 AM

^Download. I think he wants the shareware version. :D

#14 Incog

Incog

• Beta Tester
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:58 AM

I don't remember my FIRST time playing Jetpack, because apparently I was playing before the whole "long-term memory" thing started to sink in for me. My dad bought the full version of the game and me and my sister would play it for hours. Pretty sure I did eventually beat it completely, but boy has it been a while

#15 exactspace

exactspace

• Beta Tester
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:20 AM

^Download. I think he wants the shareware version. :D

Ah, I see. Sure, when I get home unless someone else does first. ;)

#16 DarkWolfNine

DarkWolfNine

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 100 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:18 AM

Ah, I see. Sure, when I get home unless someone else does first. ;)

I can play the Jetpack 1 from the files folder here in the Community. I just saw a few of those Megahits 80, games, and wanted to go back for memory sake. Although it would be impossible to find that disc now..
Thanks ExactSpace.

That is awesome that 3 of them are AdeptSoftware. :)

#17 Saga Musix

Saga Musix

• Moderators
  • 193 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:31 PM

Hmm... that sudden urge to play GoT again... :P

#18 hedwards

hedwards

• Beta Tester
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:02 AM

I'm surprised you bothered with any translations. The brilliance of the game is that you didn't need to be able to read. I think the only place I would have missed not being able to read was on the menus.

#19 exactspace

exactspace

• Beta Tester
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:25 AM

It's probably good to do for sales. That way people can look at the game and feel that it's made for them, and they're more likely to buy it.

#20 Saga Musix

Saga Musix

• Moderators
  • 193 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:17 AM

I'm surprised you bothered with any translations.

We germans are infamous for dubbing everything!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users