• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 491 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 09:18 AM

Obviously I'm not making the end of April goal with the game release, but it's getting close.

big changes
* Game no longer resets or pauses on player death.  If respawning causes the player to be in an unwinnable situation, they will need to select "restart level" from the menu.  Try to plan your levels so that doesn't happen.
* Added Options menu

* Level end summary is now pretty

* Small tweaks lead to big changes: I got a font editor to make the exclamation point readable, and found that it wasn't too tricky to make some other changes.  I've added lower case to the Jetpack font!  It looks much nicer.  I ran a script to save you the trouble of converting all your existing levels to Title Case.  Feel free to modify your title.  Due to the additional space, I've also increased the title char limit by 8, to 36.  The level browser now uses the Jetpack font, which makes it a little less readable, but it looks nice.
I also added dollar sign - ampersand would be nice but looks like too much work.  If anyone else knows how and wants to add it let me know.

other changes
* Fixed most known bugs
* Sign commands must come after any message.  You may now specify more than one trigger.  To specify a & b, use @trigger:ab:on@  NOTE: don't forget, if you don't specify on or off, the default behavior is to TOGGLE.  2 toggles = no change.
* Most FG scenery now goes underneath the opaque layer. Exceptions are vines & struts
* Destroy tile group now fades out, unless duration=0
* Added 2 small blood stain tiles

Note: You can quickly quit playtest mode by pressing ESC Q

Current behavior is for invisible triggers to disappear on contact ONLY if they show a message.  Is that confusing?  I could change to removing all on contact, unless @noremove@ is specified.

> Holding down Shift + number flips the layer filter on and off (number + shift works fine tho).

This is a feature!

“Bug Reports” Folder Levels
(Please delete the level when you confirm the issue is fixed)

FUEL MISER ACHIEVEMENT ICON (Juang) - fixed
STUN. ENEMIES ENTER TELEPOR. (Juang) - since blocks use every teleporter, stunned enemies should too - changed the bats though
TRICKY SWITCHES (Saga Musix) - fixed
INSANE BUGS (InsaneJetman) - fixed
    centered on ladder, miss triggers - they toggle by default, so you are hitting 2 toggles at once=on/off. use @trigger:e:on@
    still circle: the physical pos of that tile is the center of it, not the center of the grid cell it's placed in
EFFECT TIMING (InsaneJetman) - fixed?
THIN WALL OF DOOM W/ PURPLE (Illari) - fixed
HITBOXAND1VASEPIXELTHRUWALL (Illari) - i could shrink the contact radius for items but this would make it more of a pain to gather things, having to be positioned more exactly - comments?
FIRST THING YOU PRESS DOWN (Illari) - fixed
FIRST THING YOU PRESS JUMP (Illari) - fixed
FADE IN TRAPPED ENEMY BLINKS (Illari) - fixed
TRAPPED BOXES ESCAPE (Illari) - fixed
MOVING SPRINGS (Juan G) - frickin springs - fixed
REPULSOR GLITCH (Illari) - todo
MISSLE SLUDGE BUG (Saga Musix) - todo

#2 Illari

Illari

Advanced Member

• Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:55 PM

Could levels without checkpoints restart at death? And perhaps when there are checkpoints, you'd have to put a checkpoint at start, as in many levels you can die before making anything that would help on the next round, so the player doesn't have to manually reset the timer.

#3 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 491 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:09 AM

Could levels without checkpoints restart at death? And perhaps when there are checkpoints, you'd have to put a checkpoint at start, as in many levels you can die before making anything that would help on the next round, so the player doesn't have to manually reset the timer.

That's a tricky one, a lot of games have that issue.  I could reset if no gems/treasure were taken yet, but it would be unexpected behavior.  Anyone else want to weigh in?

#4 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 491 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:19 PM

Ok this isn't too bad - the game will restart on death if the player has no gems or treasure, and no checkpoint has been reached yet.

#5 Illari

Illari

Advanced Member

• Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:17 PM

Current behavior is for invisible triggers to disappear on contact ONLY if they show a message.  Is that confusing?  I could change to removing all on contact, unless @noremove@ is specified.

(edited a million times) What I think should happen is they don't normally disappear, just show the message once, continuing to trigger groups, which would stop if @remove@ was used.

Noticed that group sounds more self-explanatory than block (which sounds unsettlingly technical, and is easy to confuse with tile), should that be changed? There are groups in office programs IIRC.

#6 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 491 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:16 PM

I just posted another update, with the restart change and the following:

* Level end summary is now pretty

* Small tweaks lead to big changes: I got a font editor to make the exclamation point readable, and found that it wasn't too tricky to make some other changes.  I've added lower case to the Jetpack font!  It looks much nicer.  I ran a script to save you the trouble of converting all your existing levels to Title Case.  Feel free to modify your title.  Due to the additional space, I've also increased the title char limit by 8, to 36.  The level browser now uses the Jetpack font, which makes it a little less readable, but it looks nice.
I also added dollar sign - ampersand would be nice but looks like too much work.  If anyone else knows how and wants to add it let me know.

> Noticed that group sounds more self-explanatory than block

Are you referring to block select mode?

#7 Illari

Illari

Advanced Member

• Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:09 PM

^Yes, and block effects. It is confusing. :P

A few levels weren't converted to Title Case for whatever reason, some mine and possibly the two by ericf.

So if there's a similar script in the future you might want to look into that.

rsz_wtf.jpg

^Here the dialog box is oddly spaced out, and sometimes it gets really cramped too. I can't seem to find a definite pattern, but very often it keeps getting wider/tighter each time the box is closed and opened again, and at least used to reset when changing level. The same can happen to the level settings dialog too.

Blood should reset after going back to editor.

#8 Saga Musix

Saga Musix

• Moderators
  • 179 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:27 PM

My laptop has been in repair for a week and will still be there for maybe another week, so I'm currently stuck with a P3 850 MHz (not kidding) which obviously can't run Jetpack properly. So disregard any "finished" flags on my levels right now, most of them still have the wrong (slowed down) level times and I can't change them right now.
But please, consider resetting a level to the exact state it was in when the player passed a checkpoint (minus gems and gold, maybe). It just makes more sense, and the level contributors won't have to think about possibilities of locking the player out because of barriers, which I found to be a common issue with checkpoints+death. You can't always think of all possibilites for passing a checkpoint, so if a casual player gets into a situation where the barriers are not as you intended them to be and he has to restart the level because of that, I imagine it to be much more frustrating than just resetting the general level state.

BTW. I tried logging into the forum at this address, but it wouldn't let me login. I had to use the login form on the blog/front page instead.

#9 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 491 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:33 AM

Good point, I've changed the description from block to "selection".

Saga I'll evaluate that more when I get to the gameplay testing phase.

#10 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 491 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:09 AM

Any comments on the new stuff?

#11 kirchheim

kirchheim

• Beta Tester
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:41 PM

I kind of like the principal idea that the level is not resetted on player death. This makes the game less static and players may be confronted with very different situations depending on what they have done and where they have died. Level design gets more interesting but also more difficult. I made some minor adjustments to my levels and think they should work ok so far. Mostly. There are problems when situations depend on freezers or invinicibility suits which are no longer there when you have used them and died. Also, you can't think of every possible situation and some levels will be affected very seriously by this change or even become unusable, so I don't know if this new feature will be the way to go. Pretty unusual for a game like that, like Saga pointed out. I like it, but it's a chaos factor (that's why I like it).

Got  some new errors while level testing. Some error message when I opened the tile picker, don't know where it was and what it said, didn't happen again. When starting level testing with the 'enter' key, the remaining gems in a level are no longer visible after death, meaning, only the pedestals remain as though they were already collected. They still can be collected, but you can't tell which are and which are not. Happens every time as far as I have observed. Strange.

#12 Illari

Illari

Advanced Member

• Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:59 PM

I know the blood at death can sometimes add to a level, sometimes detract; not sure about it, but I like it sometimes at least.

Sometimes when entering playtest, still haven't found an exact pattern, some fade ins triggered "at start" don't work at all, and the tiles are just instantly visible. Don't know if other "at start" effects are affected.

When entering playtest while in block select mode, the glow around selected blocks remain.

#13 Illari

Illari

Advanced Member

• Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 03:35 PM

Blood should reset after going back to editor.

Forgot Jetpack burn trails too.

The 'click to continue' or whatever button in the pause box is too small to show the whole text.

Sometimes after changing values in block effects, and nothing else in the level, it says the level has not been modified when trying to save.

#14 Saga Musix

Saga Musix

• Moderators
  • 179 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 01:19 PM

Hmm, you can't stop level testing with the ESC key anymore? You first have to click "quit game" - quite a productivity killer in the level editor. I can understand the motivation behind this in a standalone game, but not in the editor... The "are you sure you want to..." confirmations are also rather annoying, especially since they can't be confirmed with the Enter key.

#15 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 491 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 03:24 PM

Hmm, you can't stop level testing with the ESC key anymore? You first have to click "quit game" - quite a productivity killer in the level editor. I can understand the motivation behind this in a standalone game, but not in the editor... The "are you sure you want to..." confirmations are also rather annoying, especially since they can't be confirmed with the Enter key.

Just push esc-Q

You may need to test suicide vs restart while testing..

#16 kirchheim

kirchheim

• Beta Tester
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:50 AM

I agree with Saga, I didn't like the fact not being able any longer to quit testing with one button push. I'd rather use another key for accessing the options menu (like F10), or even a key combination (like alt+o). A user interface always has its compromises but this one I didn't get quite comfortable with. Have to try the esc-Q combination a bit, perhaps that feels ok, but when I stop level testing I usually want to go back to building as fast as possible to keep the flow of ideas...

#17 Saga Musix

Saga Musix

• Moderators
  • 179 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:19 PM

When pressing ESC twice while dying (when the menu pops up), I get stuck in an endless sequence of error #1009 message boxes... Or thinking of it, sometimes I don't even have to press ESC for the game to do that.

#18 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 491 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:37 AM

So Saga, both ways of handling death have problems.  Due to checkpoints, if we reset the level on death, fuel will be replaced, giving the player more fuel than they should have had.  I really like checkpoints though.

I could put an option in level settings, "reset level on death", on by default.  This is the only solution I can think of.  Ideas?

#19 Illari

Illari

Advanced Member

• Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:37 PM

That doesn't sound bad. When set to no reset on death, maybe it could still reset when no treasure or checkpoint have been reached, to reset the timer after a failed start - or a checkpoint could be put at start to avoid reset. If there was an important switch or box near start, a treasure could be put to avoid the level restarting.

#20 Saga Musix

Saga Musix

• Moderators
  • 179 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:43 PM

Having it optional sounds like an idea. I guess actually seeing it implemented might help to evaluate it further.

Edit: Another bug found: After restarting from a checkpoint, all gems are drawn as if they were already collected, at least sometimes. And sometimes it can also happen that you are invincible for an unreasonably long time (more than just a few seconds) after restarting from a checkpoint.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users