19 replies to this topic

#1 InsaneJetman

InsaneJetman

• Moderators
  • 295 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:39 AM

Here's the list of bugs I've come across since the March release:

• Overlay tiles in a group:
    - prevent shading of tiles underneath (no shading in rooms -- you might actually like this)
    - are not drawn on top of other foreground layer tiles (can't have pillars etc. in a room)
  • Toggle N tiles button does not update when selection updated.
  • Pressing the Toggle N tiles button does not affect the demo animation.
  • When placing a 3x3 background, it disappears when I move the mouse to the edge and have a layer filtered out.
  • After an undo, the editor winds up in block mode not depending on the operation undone but the operation before that.
  • Invisible triggers aren't faded when I hide layer 4.
  • The final time is wrong after a respawn (from start or checkpoint).
  • I can't edit an off-axis help icon.
  • I can open 2+ drop down boxes at once in the level settings dialog.
  • Undoing a paste involving a tile group erases the whole level!

If you have any questions about any of these, please ask. There are also some bugs in my Insane Bugs level, so keep an eye on that.

Feature Requests:

• Make it possible for one Help Icon/Invisible Trigger to trigger two groups.
  • New effect: Create (reverse of Destroy, they could even be options on one effect).
  • Have an option for a fade-in/out on Destroy (Create too if you make that).
    I employed some odd tricks to get this effect in Domineering Cliff.
  • Bring back the co-ordinate information when placing a tile free-range.
    I used that quite a bit to make sure I was placing a tile in the correct place.

That's what I've got for the moment. The game's working great tho. Good Work!

#2 Illari

Illari

Advanced Member

• Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:49 AM

Over the Toggle N tiles button, the mouse cursor's not clickable when still, and when moving it flickers between clickable and not clickable very rapidly, so it's hard to press.

#3 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 561 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:37 AM

Good finds, thanks!

#4 InsaneJetman

InsaneJetman

• Moderators
  • 295 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:32 PM

More bugs:

• If I delete the last gem on a level, undo the delete, then play the level, the door will be open.
  • My request to bring back the co-ordinate information when placing a tile free-range seems to be a bug. I saw it at one point but it's gone again.
  • If I start testing in block mode with a selection, the selection is still highlighted.
  • I shouldn't have been able to take this screenshot, but I did (this is rare, this happened after grabbing the 1st gem, note the missing sign, it's on a different trigger tho):
    2wf487r.jpg

Do we really need three achievements on all our levels? I'm sure I can fill out three for each but they mightn't be very relevant to the level. e.g. The maze above could have Switchophobe or Fool's Gold, but that would just involve finishing the level early. Likewise, Fuel Miser is similarly trivial if one finishes the level early; Rest Your Legs just means flying where one might otherwise jump; and the remaining achievements really are redundant or impossible.

Speaking of achievements another possible one could be to destroy everything. I guess that's just crates and foam blocks, but it might be neat in some levels.

#5 Illari

Illari

Advanced Member

• Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:15 AM

There should be an option to put a delay on effect, to make platforms disappear on touch after 1 sec for example, and long sequences of things. Insane's ideas seem very useful too, but N number of groups, for the sequences.

In level preview screenshots, marble type enemies of all themes are not visible, and tiles meant to be hidden by fade in are visible.

#6 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 561 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:35 PM

Do we really need three achievements on all our levels? I'm sure I can fill out three for each but they mightn't be very relevant to the level. e.g. The maze above could have Switchophobe or Fool's Gold, but that would just involve finishing the level early. Likewise, Fuel Miser is similarly trivial if one finishes the level early; Rest Your Legs just means flying where one might otherwise jump; and the remaining achievements really are redundant or impossible.

Speaking of achievements another possible one could be to destroy everything. I guess that's just crates and foam blocks, but it might be neat in some levels.

I was thinking it would be better to give each level 3 achievements, just because users will be expecting 3 in each level.  But I guess if there are no good ones you could leave them out.

#7 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 561 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:37 PM

There should be an option to put a delay on effect, to make platforms disappear on touch after 1 sec for example, and long sequences of things. Insane's ideas seem very useful too, but N number of groups, for the sequences.

In level preview screenshots, marble type enemies of all themes are not visible, and tiles meant to be hidden by fade in are visible.

I was actually going to add scripting so you could do whatever you want, but it's going to have to wait for a later release.

#8 Saga Musix

Saga Musix

• Moderators
  • 193 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:12 AM

One more reason to restore the complete level state when hitting a save point: If the save point is in a crate, you die instantly when going back to the save point. One can argue about not restorting the original gem/collectible status when returning to the save point, but I think that should also be restored, because if you place some treasure in an area that's complicated to get into and also complicated to leave, then you shouldn't be able to grab the treasure, die and return to the save point with the treasure.

#9 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 561 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:40 AM

One more reason to restore the complete level state when hitting a save point: If the save point is in a crate, you die instantly when going back to the save point. One can argue about not restorting the original gem/collectible status when returning to the save point, but I think that should also be restored, because if you place some treasure in an area that's complicated to get into and also complicated to leave, then you shouldn't be able to grab the treasure, die and return to the save point with the treasure.

I'm thinking of the checkpoints in Pitfall 2, they don't reverse time but just resurrect you after you die.  I could bump aside any objects overlapping the checkpoint on resurrection.  As for the complicated to exit issue, how about placing another checkpoint where the treasure is?

#10 Saga Musix

Saga Musix

• Moderators
  • 193 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:56 AM

As for the complicated to exit issue, how about placing another checkpoint where the treasure is?

Then you'd have to plaster your complete level with checkpoints if you really want to ensure that the user can't use any checkpoints as shortcuts.

#11 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 561 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:30 PM

Then you'd have to plaster your complete level with checkpoints if you really want to ensure that the user can't use any checkpoints as shortcuts.

Really I think this is a good thing.  This is a case of a user being able to skip some hard parts of a level, which is what I want for beginners.  But to get the top ranking for the level, they'll have to replay it until they beat it with no deaths, so they will eventually need to make it through those parts.  The gameplay they missed before gives it better replayability.

#12 InsaneJetman

InsaneJetman

• Moderators
  • 295 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:10 PM

• Tile group effect timing is wrong. It seems the game running at 80% its old speed is coming into effect here. So when I set a tile group to move in a line and take 5 seconds, it will in fact take 6.25 seconds.
  • Holding down Shift + number flips the layer filter on and off (number + shift works fine tho).

#13 Saga Musix

Saga Musix

• Moderators
  • 193 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:47 PM

When dying, the play time seems to be reset to 0 seconds or just by a second randomly.

#14 Saga Musix

Saga Musix

• Moderators
  • 193 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:54 PM

Added a new bug level, "tricky switches". If you trap the steel ball in the green barrier often enough (sometimes it already happens after trapping it once), it will somehow roll to the right, and after that, it won't roll back to the left side. If you can't reprodceu it, I guess I can provide a video.

#15 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 561 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:10 AM

The next release enhances the resurrection idea, by no longer restarting the game when you die.  I like it a lot better this way.  If respawning causes the player to be in an unwinnable situation, they will need to select "restart level" from the menu.

Release should be coming today.

#16 J.B. Lewis

J.B. Lewis

• Beta Tester
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:18 AM

I'm not sure how much of this is intended, but I've noticed a few strange behaviors that seem to trigger only upon death rather inconsistently, though I don't know if specific deaths are responsible yet - for one thing, all the gems on the map disappear from their pedestals and are impossible to collect, making the exit door impossible to open. At other times, the beams of light that pinpoint the Jetman's starting position are displayed permanently.

There's only one feature request I've thought of so far: movable teleports. These would be subject to gravity (much like the movable crates), bear a different color or colors than the yellow / green / purple normal teleports, and could be used to great extent to create interesting enemy manipulation puzzles or navigation challenges in the vein of Portal.

Posted Image

#17 Saga Musix

Saga Musix

• Moderators
  • 193 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:27 AM

I think I've posted about the disappearing gems in another thread already.

#18 Chaostorm

Chaostorm

Adam

• Administrators
  • 561 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:41 AM

Let me know if you guys find a way to reproduce this, I've seen it too but it seems random.

JB you could do this somewhat, by making a teleporter part of a moving tile group.

I'm moved in to my new place, just need to find a desk that I can use sitting or standing and doesn't cost $500!

#19 Illari

Illari

Advanced Member

• Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:03 AM

Not sure if reported somewhere else, but after going back to editor and testing again the idol is still marked as collected, might be other things too.

#20 Illari

Illari

Advanced Member

• Beta Tester
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:27 AM

Again not sure if reported but when 'at start' effects aren't triggered at start sometimes, it seems to be always after saving the level.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users